aquarium lights

Momo

so is it bad to leave an aquarium light on all day and all night? tank in question is just a 1.5 footer and has a piece of driftwood with anubias of some sort. is it actually bad for the plant to have light on all day? or no real disadvantages?

Thanks in advance

Yes, it is bad to leave the light on for the whole day long. Since in nature plants get their light source directly from the sun, but it isn't goes on and on for 24hrs day long...plants utilize light and carbon dioxides for photosynthesis, while at night time they use oxygen to release carbon dioxides. If plants gets too much light, their leaves will turn into yellow colour and even get burn! So you will have plants that are not very healthy looking...

Since you've got a small tank with little plants, where anubias spieces does not require much lightling...they will grow better in places that have little light avaible, such as places that have shades. The ideal time period to provide lighting to the plants is about 6 hours a day and you can use a timer to help you with switching on / off the light for you. Hope this helps. smile.gif

Thanks guys, i know i should try to go as natural as possible, but anubias are such slow growing and i thought that just leaving the light on might make it grow quicker! oh well my bad im not a really a plants person. Thanks once again for replies. actually any tips for growing anubias? special secrets for making the grab wood? currently held on with cable tie but it's been ages and still hasnt grabbed, actually not much root growth at all, leaves are growing fine though, any advice?

Anubias is one of the most slow-growing aquatic plant, thus it would takes a long time for them to hold themselves onto a driftwood. You can't really "force" a plant to grow faster by providing more light to them, in which that's a bad idea and would even kill it instead! The best way to get it growing (well, you can't see it instantly though..) is to provide them the right conditions that they demand, ie. nuturients, correct temperature, amount of lighting, water conditions...etc. Once the condition is suit for them, they'll grow continously and reproduce themselves.

BTW, what type of anubias you've got there? And what type of lighting are you using?

thanks for the info guy/galz, very helpful kribbie smile.gif . looks like i just need to have more patience. hmmm do all anubias "GRAB" tongue.gif wood? im not quite sure what species it is, but i am sure it is anubias of some sort.

Yep, Barca888 is correct. plants get photosynthesis during daytime and at night a biological system called "Kreb cycle" (Barca888, it's "kreb"...not "kribs"...hahaha~~ laugh.gif )~

yea...all type of Anubias attach themselves to the wood and this take a long time around 2 months~ so, just tie them with fishing line and don't move/touch them for 2 months! For plants ID, check this site: wink.gif

Aquaria Australia Warehouse

Archived