Scratching

GreekStylez

Hi All,

I have found that my electric yellow and clown loach are randomly rubbing their bodies on the gravel and driftwood. I have checked for white spot and there is no indication. They look healthy are eating. Should i be worried by their behaviour? Could this be an early indication of disease. Please help

Thankyou.

G'day GreekStylez

I have noticed my fish every now and then will rub a rock or heater and i to got concerned. But it was explained to me that fish to get the odd itch and cause they have no hands and fingers to scratch so they rub.

I have also noticed them do it if i move their spawning rock or add fish to the tank.

But keep a close eye on them just incase!!

MT cool.gif

my fish also do the occasional rub on the gravel, i guess you need to decide whether their scratching an occasional itch or whether their developing a problem. if i saw it happen in a tank more than a couple times a day i'd start to wonder.

What i have observed is that my females that are holding usually rub onto the gravel or a surface with their mouth. no other fish rub or scrath. Anyone seen this behaviour?

cheers

Richard

Often fish will scratch more noticeably after feeding...check your nitrite levels, or any other source of irritation to the fish. The addition of some rock salt may prove helpful (depending upon the species).

merjo

Th fish in 2 of my tanks were doing this just after that hot snap in February. It was happening a lot and I delyed treatment thinking I would just watch them. Well I was too late and about 10 days later I had a full white spot outbreak in both tanks. All my cichlids survived but I lost 4 clown loaches. Now I would say that prevention is better than cure. Clowns don't like the medication so its better to treat them whilst they are strong than to wait till they are fully infected.

Make sure you only half dose the the tanks with scaleless fish in them.

Hi All,

First of all i am grateful for your input. Although i believe it was just a false alarm. I guess they were just itchy in the end laugh.gif. Even still, I have decided to keep a watchful eye on them unsure.gif to make sure there is no outbreaks of any type.

Cheers

First do a water 20-30% change and make sure you use water ager.

Remove any carbon from the tank.

Turn up your airation.

Add white spot cure add half the reccommended cichlid rate as Loaches have real problems with white spot cure. (It may have a Loach rate on the bottle if so follow that.

The instructions will tell you what to do from there. If you have a vacume then use it before you re-apply the medicine because a lot of the infection may be in your gravel.

Do not hestiate as it kills fast.

Good luck

I read somewhere either here or in another area on the net that if the water conditions change i.e. become too soft for African fish it can cause the fish to start scratching.

In your case it was in fact White Spot but sometimes i see my Africand scratching and there is no sign of desease.

Guest Gutty

Turn the temp up to 29....this should help kill off any water born parasites in their larval stage. And medicate fish as per Citypainters in structions.

Good luck

Matt

Archived