Info needed please

Teamsherman

Hi,

I bought some cool little "afro blues" tonight and was wondering if someone can tell me their scientific name so i can research them and give them the best conditions.

Cheers, Alan. cool.gif

Hi,

I can help you out with these...

Cynotilapia afra is their scientific name...

user posted image

user posted image

Hope you enjoy them, they are a great fish, the males looking stunning.

In the top pic the female in the back ground has a mouthful.

Shaun

i dont think there is a known location with the blue afras, although there seems to be two types. One where the barring runs through the dorsal fin and the other type has no barring in the dorsal.

Oztroopy's have the dorsal barring while mine dont.

user posted image

cheers

Harry

Guys -

Just be careful with afra's without a location. There's always the specter of hybrids. If you have larger fish (or one dies) you can check their teeth. They should have unicuspid teethin the outer jaw. Maylandia spp have bicuspid teetch and should be fairly easy to tell apart.

I have a horrible fear that there may have been BB zebs involved at some point. If this is the case the teeth should show it.

Thanks guys, you have all been a great help...

Im not sure where they came from, i bought them at the auction at last nights meeting. And you dont seem to get much info when they are auctioning them.

I must say, they are tough little guys, i woke up last night due to some noise outside in the street ( i live on a busy street in the city) and one of the smallest ones was missing, i have a closer look in the tank and i could see its tail sticking out ( and still wriggling) of one of my kirkii's mouths, so i disturbed the kirkii and he spat the blue out. And this morning it is still getting about like nothing happened.

Cheers, Alan. cool.gif

Archived