tank dividers

MikeWs Fish

I want to make a tank divider for my new tank. I was thinking of going to the glass cutters and getting some glass cut and using aquarium glass glue and then doubling up on heaters and filters.

The other suggestion I had was to use some kind of 'plastic mesh' and therefore using only one filter and one heater. What kind of material can I use that is good for this purpose, non toxic and secure?

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Michael.

we just use some flyscreen attached to two poles (the width of the tank and the poles are the depth)

Bury the poles as deep as you can in the gravel

then use some suction caps to hold the poles in place near the top of the tank.

It doesn't look the best but it certainly saves doubling up on things.

Its cheap and really easy to construct.

i dont know what size fish u want to keep separate but there are any amount of divider types.

light diffuser works but looks like (you know).

perspex sheet , if u drill holes in it and use brackets so u dont make it fit flush with the tank walls you still get interchange between the 2 halves so no need to double up on filter and heat.

i made a betta farm with 2 glass dividers and a ugf under each divider, silastic the dividers to the tank walls top and bottom. the ugf sucks from the outers to the middle and return is via the gap at the walls, there is a temp variation of about 1 or 2 deg. this way, probably due to the wall gaps being paper thin u need a few mm.

Hi Mike,

I have glass dividers and get away with the use of only one heater. The heat is transfered through the glass.....you only drop 1 or 2 degrees depending on the size of your tank.

merjo

hi mike

i use egg crate,i dont know exactly what its made from

but its fish freindly.i got it from a foam & plastic's mob.

it's also good for breeding too.when you cut a big enough

whole just for the female to escape the big bad male. biggrin.giflaugh.gifdry.gif

depending on time and money(or what i plan to do) is get to glass rods sliconed on the front and back of the tank and then have a glass divider that is removableand will easily slide between the 2 rods. to get flow going through you can get 4 holes cut in the divider with guaze silconed over holes. but as i said it all depends on the dollars and visual effects

regards

chris

Hi Michael,

Another cheaper alternative to glass is what i used to seperate 2 feuding oscars in my 4fter

I got my LFS to make it up for me, but what it was is a sheet of approx 8mm perspex with a heap of 5mm diameter holes thought it, from top to bottom. this allowed for water flow and heat to be distributed through the tank, but also stopped the fish from getting to eachother so they didn't kill each other.

PM me and i'll email a picture to you if you like. (can't be arsed setting up an online picture hosting thing)

hope this is helpful,

cheers

Grace

Hi everyone thanks for your suggestions!

I used light diffuser that I got from St George aquarium thrn i used silicon glass glue to stick it in place. What is the best way to get rid of the excess glue once it has dried. It looks a little messy sad.gif

Cheers,

Michael.

Hi everyone thanks for your suggestions!

I used light diffuser that I got from St George aquarium thrn i used silicon glass glue to stick it in place. What is the best way to get rid of the excess glue once it has dried. It looks a little messy sad.gif

Cheers,

Michael.

use a sharp razor blade

Archived