air pump use?

coxy87

hi all!! I have set up a mbuna tank with 3 species so far been added, all young adults approx 3 inches now.. plenty of rocks and hiding places using granite rock and slate rock!! I have 2 filters, a aqua

nova canister and aqua clear 110 (the largest one) hang on filter..

I have a 300 watt heater (jäger) eihem.

question is I have a double outlet air pump with two small air stones, do I really need to use this?? do the filter provide enough aeration?

the tank is 5foot x 2foot x 2 foot.

the fish stock is 5 electric yellows, 5 yellow tail acie and 5 metriclima red zebras.

hi all!! I have set up a mbuna tank with 3 species so far been added, all young adults approx 3 inches now.. plenty of rocks and hiding places using granite rock and slate rock!! I have 2 filters, a aqua

nova canister and aqua clear 110 (the largest one) hang on filter..

I have a 300 watt heater (jäger) eihem.

question is I have a double outlet air pump with two small air stones, do I really need to use this?? do the filter provide enough aeration?

the tank is 5foot x 2foot x 2 foot.

the fish stock is 5 electric yellows, 5 yellow tail acie and 5 metriclima red zebras.

i doubt you should need it. For such a large tank you have very few fish. the 110 imo should be enough water aggitation to negate the need for the pump. However if you like the look of the bubbles then go ahead and add it :p

I am looking to add a 4th species.. I purchase them very young then remove males to suit the tanks ratio's,

I would like a few species suggestions that will go well with what I have now, I have a few elongus mapangas and a few dolhpin moorii's in another tank at the

moment.

I am looking to add a 4th species.. I purchase them very young then remove males to suit the tanks ratio's,

I would like a few species suggestions that will go well with what I have now, I have a few elongus mapangas and a few dolhpin moorii's in another tank at the

moment.

mpangas may be hard as if memory serves they are striped like the red zebras... similar shape and color can result in fights and dead fish. Dolphins could work but they are slower then the mbuna so they would miss out on food. why not just add more of the species you have and make larger colonies?

so do you reckon perhaps another 5 of each would be alright??

I do like the idea tho never even thought of that!!

mate in a tank your size you can possibly add 10 more of each :p but yeah add more of the species you have and set up territories for them and yay fun times

:blink I would for sure have your air-pump running.

What if your filter breaks down?

More air is always better.

Adding 10 more of each species will be a problem when they get to full size & in a 5x2x2 they will grow lg 14/15cm, You say they are 3inch now so adding young fry will be a problem for them to compete.

ok thanks, what do you guys think of the electric blue? possibly 5 of them??

and also when you said we can get fish through the forum how do we go about that?

have you joined the classifieds section? if not do a search and im sure you can find a link to apply for it. And yah 5 blues could work there for you. I would not go much more then that though as the females are dull compared to the male. if you can get 1 male and 3 females... good breeding group.

And thanks dobbin. Just a shame i cant sell any of the species i mentioned :)

The chance of both filters becoming redundant are so low it wouldn't be worth adding an airpump. The only time something like that could happen is in the case of a blackout which would result in the airpump going offline too :yes: Unless you have a battery backup which would be perfect :thumb

I wouldn't bother; providing you have the Aqua Clear providing surface agitation and the spray bar on the cannister is directed to the surface causing ripples you will be fine.

By the way, red zebras are pure red/orange. They are not barred :no: Also mpanga are purple/black with hints of yellow so colour wise look nothing like red zebras so they will work very well together.

Blue dolphins will be fine in a tank of mbuna, trust me they can be just as fast as mbuna.

If your going to be adding smaller fish into the mix (3-5cm) add them now and you won't have problems. If your fish get any bigger you may see some problems (eg Big fish eats small fish :shock: )

How about some venestus? I miss my colony and they are different looking to what you have. This isn't keeping with the biotope but brichardi, leleupi, white or black convicts would all work great aswell.

so i would like to add moorii dolphin approx 4, hopefully 3 female and 1 male.

could i also add venustus approx 4, is 3 female and and 1 male a good ratio for these guys i have ever kept them.

of course asking if they will mix well with my electric yellows, acie's, and red zebras?

Remember that water coming out of filters is depleted of oxygen as your beneficial bacteria require a lot of it to convert Ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate. The surface agitation is re-oxygenating your filter water. It is advisable to have another source of surface agitation.

I use an el-cheapo flow maker and direct it to the surface of the water.

Since you have the air pump and it can only do good, I'd say use it.

Archived