Neolamprologus brevis

Rod54

• 2 weeks later...

I have "sunspot" Brevis, but not exactly sure of their locality.

IPB Image

IPB Image

They got the yellow colouration behind their pectoral fins. They also sometimes have a little white cap on their heads. They sometimes have a blotched look, but they never get vertical stripes (like in a multi).

I'd really like to know what locality they are.

Cheers

Glenn

I don't think they are "sunspot"

"Sunspot" have a yellow spot on the sides of their heads....that's why they are called Sunspot I believe

I had some similar to yours a few years ago....Thanks for sharing!

I thought the sunspot was behind their pectoral fin, sort of above the belly area, like the yellow the female has in the second picture below.

The male in the first picture didn't have it then, but it often shows up in him - depending on his mood.

I haven't read anywhere that the yellow is on the head.

I haven't seen any picture off the internet of a Brevis with that pattern before. Looks unusual.

Anyway, with respect to your Kavala, can you post any picture or links of similar looking fish? Do they look like mine? I'm guessing yours are young?

I think my fish are German imports, but not 100% sure. Some of the wild caught ones I've seen off the internet look ugly. My pair are short and chunky and angry looking, just like my neighbours and it always makes me laugh looking at them.

IMO kavalla are quite an inbred species in australia as they have been here for many generations, and dont often show any yellow. Some of the best i have had are some Bulu point sunspots they have alot of yellow and definate defined colour lines they are also F1 which helps. They are not just a drab brown shelly like many of th strains of kavala i have kept.

I will try and get some piccies of the several kavalas and sunspots i have kept up tomorow.

Mine never get those blue bits behind the head. I'll try and take further photos of mine when they have prominant yellow colouration. Also sometimes the purple beneath the eyes and on the mouth can be really prominant, but at other times you can barely see it.

My pair are always going through the breeding cycle and so their behaviour and colour goes through cycles, especially when they are about to spawn and when small fry (like right now) have just begun to leave the shell.

With respect to that picture of the fish with the yellow spot behind the eyes, could that fish be Lamprologus calliurus (Magara)?

Look at http://www.tanganyika.ru/articles/article....at=1&igen=1

Also, look at the picture of the Ikola shown on that page as well. I think my fish resemble that fish (no stripes and a mottled appearance).

Congratulations :clap

Where'd you get them from? Are they common in Australia?

Also, in mind with what you pointed out with respect to tails, isn't it astounding the difference in tails even amongst the Brevis from different localities!

• 2 weeks later...

MTS....particularly usefull in shellie tanks as they clean in nooks and crannys....and a snails I assume would be a natural part of the shellie habitat....I'll educate you one day Craig!!!

No....they weren't cheap...$35 each

Store is owned by Bill Smith....x president of cichlid club

He knew what they were....but I assume it was easier to call them brevis

MTS....particularly usefull in shellie tanks as they clean in nooks and crannys....and a snails I assume would be a natural part of the shellie habitat....I'll educate you one day Craig!!!

I'm :offtopic: I know :hug:

I agree that the shellie habitat would have shells, but not these ones and not in the numbers they get to a fish tank - and numbers is my whole issue with them. If a a Malaysian burrowing snail could be given a vasectomy - they would probably be a usefull addition.

We should take a poll to see whose opinion most agree with :raisehand:

But wait, if we do a search on ACE for;

a) how many past posts are asking how to get rid of burrowing snails (because of their vast numbers)

b) how many past posts are speaking of the value of these snails, and how they don't overbred.

I wonder which would tally the highest :lol5::lol5:

Archived