whooooo whooooooo first mouthful fronnies

fisshy

ques 1 /if she holds will this affect her weight to much as she has only just started to eat after 3 half weeks of not eatin ......ques 2 /how long do they hold for.....ques 3 / what to feed baby fronnies ...as this is her first most likely wont hold term ... i am very excited when i found them ....

ques 1 /if she holds will this affect her weight to much as she has only just started to eat after 3 half weeks of not eatin ......ques 2 /how long do they hold for.....ques 3 / what to feed baby fronnies ...as this is her first most likely wont hold term ... i am very excited when i found them ....

Most of the frontosas will not hold and stripping the eggs is the only option.

Then tumble the eggs.

Is that for their first few tries or all the time maswa?

Congrats!

My frontosa hold really well. I let my females hold for about 3-3.5 weeks, then strip them when the fry have just about lost their egg sacks. The fry are large and mine will go straight for crushed flake or NLS grow. They will start to eat before all their egg sacks are absorbed too.

The females don't lose that much weight in this time and will be back up to a good weight in no time, provided that they are in a tank that isn't overcrowded with other fish.

I actually stripped a female the other night, but I wasn't sure how long she had been holding. I caught her up, put her in a bucket of tank water, openned up her mouth and out swam heaps of fry, but they still had a reasonable egg sack left. I let go of her in the bucket and within seconds she'd vacuumed up all the fry. I put her back in the tank and all is good, still holding. She should be right by this weekend.

My point is, if you let you females hold, I believe they will become even better mothers and it will save you the hassle of tumbling.

I did read something some time ago that stripping eggs after a few days increases the chances of mooning in the bars of fry. Has anyone heard this too or know if this is true?

Bruce

I have tried letting mothers hold fish as well as stripping eggs as early as 24 hours after spawning. With mothers that i allowed to hold, I would often lose entire mouthfuls as other females pick on her. Would usuallyget approx 30 fish if successful. On the eggs I stripped and artificially incubated, I would regularly get over 100 fish and once got an amazing 153 babies! Its much harder to hatch younger eggs than older eggs, more labour intensive but more fun too. Just work out which is the best for you.

ah well my male is not old enough as they were not fertile....my other female held for a day aswell so both of my females have had a try at it ... i cant wait till the time they are ready ...by the way congrats on ya fronnies

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting to know if people who have trouble with fronnies not holding have tried to strip previously.?

I've found that once you strip once you'll need to do it for the rest of their lives. They won't hold if they don't get used to it from the first few mouthfuls. Also I've found that most fish especially fronnies won't hold after being stripped. they aren't conditioned for holding 3 weeks without food. They get used to being stripped quickly. Some of my old colony females would spit as soon as i got them in the bucket even if they were only eggs. I used to strip between 10-14 days and usually got batches of 80+. Biggest batch I got was 142 (give or take) and almost all survived to become fry.

Good news is they're trying so keep the water conditions good as they must be and it won't be long before they are holding again.

Cheers Couchy :thumb

Archived