Africans fighting

malawi4me

dry.gif I have just set up an african cichlid tank and it has cost me some dollars i tell ya!!!

My problem is that i just got home and scooped a dead fish out that cost 30 bucks. All the cichlids are fighting constantly and i believe the dead fish was the weakest in the tank. They are all small cichlids as i like to buy fish and watch them grow. They are all about 1 inch to 2 inches in size. The tank is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft with a rock cave setting through out the tank. They all seem happy apart from the fighting.

Is this fighting normal? Have i selected and mixed the wronge fish? Will they stop fighting eventualy? Here is the fish i have mixed together.

D.compressiceps.

Protemus steveni/ taiwan reef

red shoulder peacock

aulonocara sp./ chuluchu reef

yellow fin mloto

perspicax orange cap

copadichromis borleyi/ kadango red

champsochromis spilorhynchus

red top zebras x 5

electric blue

venustus

maingano

auratus

maylandia estherae

ellectric yellow

chilotilapia rhoadesii (this is most aggressive)

moorii

albino zebra

OB peacock

And thats it folks.

Any info on my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Rob.

africans do fight quite a bit, whether to establish territory or when breeding. to avoid some aggresion, you should put lots (and i mean lots) of rocks for new, small, less dominent and female fish to hide. generally mbuna tend to be more boistress than most haplochromines therefore will be more aggressive and dominent. if your tank is new, you should wait for the fish to establish a pecking order and your tank should be a little calmer. new fish tend to be harrassed more untill they fit into the pecking order. aggression in new fish can be decreased by adding fish in groups so aggression is spread between the group.

oh did i mention lots of rocks tongue.gif

hope this helps

harry

Thanks harry

I have been adding fish in groups of 5. From what i can tell most of my fish are males and with the exception of red tops i only have 1 of each species. Cant tell if my champsochromis and compressicepts and venestus are males but al others i have are males. Is it good to have females aswell?

Cheers

Rob.

females tend to get the males to colour up a little quicker although you would not have 'pure' fry as the chance of crossbreeding would be very high in your tank.

harry

I bought some fish from nowra aquarium shops, and the rest from unanderra aquarium shop. Red tops were bred by my a mate he gave em too me.

So what yas think ? My mix of species ok? I should just be patient and let them fight out a pecking order? Have i chosen good species?

Hi Rob -

Finding the right mix of fish is a tricky business:

I've highlighted the fish I view as possible problems:

D.compressiceps.

Protemus steveni/ taiwan reef

red shoulder peacock

aulonocara sp./ chuluchu reef

yellow fin mloto

perspicax orange cap

copadichromis borleyi/ kadango red

champsochromis spilorhynchus

red top zebras x 5

electric blue

venustus

maingano

auratus

maylandia estherae

ellectric yellow

chilotilapia rhoadesii (this is most aggressive)

moorii

albino zebra

OB peacock

Particularly these fish will become a problem as time goes on. In the meantime you could try some target fish a group of hardy rainbows might be worth a try.

Griffin or someone more knowledgable on Malawi cichlids should be able to cast more light on your issues.

Guest Panga

i have venustus and the male just does not stop ! don't know where he gets all that energy from .

I would have to agree. These guyz can be big trouble makers when they want to be. My male venustus has caused a few fatalities.

Now there is a missing fish in the tank he now lives in laugh.gif

one of the rusties has just disappeared no where to be found. rolleyes.gif

Cheers Troy biggrin.gif

Guest Panga

Hi Barca888,

My male veustus was king of the display tank. He was the peace keeper for well over a year. Any fights started and he use to break them up etc.

Then one day he just changed. Now i have to be careful what lives in the tank with him.

This is giving me seocnd thoughts of introducing a male to my beauty female venustus.

laugh.gif I would suggest adding a few more females and a male instead of just one male.

Don't let our bad words of venustus put you off. no2.gif

Im still trying with my male.

I have 4 venustus turning up here on monday that im getting for my male. Im just praying they arent all males LOL.gifLOL.gif

Cheers Troy biggrin.gif

gee's wat a mix , its fair enuff there small at the moment , but in time , the dimi comp and the spilo will need a tank that size just for them selves and a couple of girls each , i wood have stuck to fish that are within a few cm's of each other "WHEN FULLY GROWN" , not fish that will eventually fit in each others mouths unsure.gifunsure.gif

Ps : i just not a big fan of community tanks in general (hehehe)

steve green

Archived