Filtration setup

mathobes

After opinions and advice for filtration for a 6x2x2 tank with sand substrate housing geos and tetras.

I have narrowed it down to 2 choices:

Eheim 2217 + eheim pro 2228 or eheim 2217 + fluval fx5

I have never owned a fluval and have heard of mixed opinions, but it will be 2000 lph over the eheim setup.

The eheim setup will be slightly cheaper, probably quieter and I trust eheim.

I know that either setup will be fine with biological filtration but I'm after really good mechanical filtration as well. Also it has to be quiet as it's going to be the main display in the lounge room.

All advice and opinions are much appreciated.

Cheers

Have a look at the Fluval vs Eheim reviews. It is not that Fluval is bad it is more the FX5 loses throughput once a decent set of media is put in. What is the difference in price?

Surely somebody can chime in?? :dntknw:

The eheim setup is $60 cheaper than the fluval/eheim setup. But both eheim come with media an the fluval doesn't. So add another $80 minimum for fluval media. Price isn't really the biggest problem. I want the better setup even if it does cost me a lil more. Other people have told me to go with the eheim setup (2217 and pro 2228). Does anyone else agree?

I'd suggest using the 2228 as purely mechanical and the 2217 as puely biological. The 2228 is a bit easier to service and has a flow indicator. Connect the output of the 2228 to the inlet of the 2217, so that the 2228 acts as a pre-filter to keep the bio-media clean.

Having the first filter as fully mechanical will help protect the impellor from sand.

Hi, I run the FX5 and Eheim 2217, not really a good result, FX5's let me down, i have to clean the FX5 every 6-8 months to get it's maximum flow rate, i replaced the FX5 with Eheim 2260 (big old canester, paid $250), and it's worked beautiful for my tank.

But i am always want to make a weir and sump if i have a chance (empty the tank), again this is my idea and depends what's in the tank. my 6x2x2 can handle over thousand BN with that filtratiion.

Cheers Phong

I don't think I would mind cleaning a canister once every 8 months!! But with so many mixed opinions on fx5 tells me that they may not be reliable. Some work well some don't? I think I'll go with trustworthy eheim. Thanks for the help everyone.

Archived