Fixing a cracked tank

pride

My good old wife found a 2fter in the local council cleanup which I'm going to hopefully use for a fry tank but the bottom glass has a crack about 5cm in the corner. Its one of those old tanks with the steel borders around it so I was going to reseal the thing but with the cracked bottom I was going to just silicon another piece of glass over the top. Should the new glass be thicker than the old or can I get away with using some glass I have which is about as thick as most lids are made with ( not sure on the correct dimensions ).

since its a 2fter, u will be safe wil 5 mm glass like most lids are.

Wow most lids are 5mm thick!

mine are all 3mm... 5mm would make them very heavy to keep lifting them for feeding.

Regards to fixing the tank... use the same thickness that the base is made of.

my apologies pride, gigitt is correct. most lids are 3 mm thick. which will probably still be safe to use. laugh.gif

np nova.

BTW:

2mm glass is uses for picture framing as it make the total weight less to hang.

3mm glass is the most common available as it is what most normal windows use.

3+mm is used for aquariums and structual building (ie large office windows, commercial office windows, and dont forget glass doors - Darling Habour Convension Center uses 15mm glass for its frameless entry/exit doors.)

Also I was told by the glazier that Glass that is not tempered is suitabable for aquariums. Any Glass you get from shop front windows that is under 12 years old will be tempered. This is because 12 years ago a law was passed for saftey reasons that front glass panes need to be safe in case someone walks through it or breaks it. Tempered glass shatters into small pieces, while untempered glass cracks into shards and large shards falling will cut someones limb off.

Why you need untempered glass for aquariums... I don't know. It could be that you cannot cut tempered glass by scoring and snapping. You have to get it cut professionally with a diamond saw to get a straight edge - otherwise it will run or just break up into little pieces.

Marko

hi gigitt

even the local glass shop told me they could'nt cut toughened glass, i have ex shower screens, that i wish to convert into large growout tanks, so i guess i keep looking 'till i find one that will do it for me. cheers; colfish

Archived