Quietest canister you have used?

kcfongie

There is another on line retailer that sells OR pumps that are "grey" imports as well. There is nothing wrong with that AS LONG AS YOU KNOW. I was caught out and I was concerned that if a fire started and it was the cause then insurance may not pay. I tried to return the item and all hell broke lose. Trade practices ended up sorting it out. Cheap is not necessarily better....

There are some lighting items that on Guppies site state that explictly say they have Australian plugs. That is the stuff I may buy from him. The only problem that I see is that 6 days to deliver at such a high premium. Fastway should be overnight :dntknw: . The only delay is perhaps paypal facility as that does take time.

cheers

rosco

Ah Hi rosco. :D

Thx for replies guys. I had NO IDEA such a thing as a GREY import exist. It was not mentioned anywhere on guppy aq website. There was very little information on the website so I got info through emailing andries directly. He did reply but then again did not mention about being grey import. <_<

I know cheap isn't always better. But i thought I was comparing prices between exactly identical products not knowing anything about where they come from. I just assumed its all the same.

Basically the information i got from andries about the 2215:

- 1 yr warranty from andries

- after that I get 1 yr warranty from eheim (so it seems it is still covered by ehiem).

- Filter media are included. (He didn't mention if it was eheim original filters though. I'll know when I get them but i'm not too worried about filter media since I got a bunch of stuff at hand already)

- indeed taps are not included but I figured this is the case from from the start so its fine.

- The reason it has yet to be delivered is due to the delay of payment. It seems it take up to 5 days to clear payment sometimes. :S (i remember it was much faster when i ordered stuff through AOA but well....) :dntknw:

All in all, paying $147 for whole thing including shipment. I can't complain its the best price out there. The only cheaper one I could find (including taps though and 2 yrs warranty not 3) is at $190 before considering shipment cost.

However,.... i'll keep what you guys say in mind about guppy. but sometimes the prices are too good to resist.

I think you would have trouble trying to claim the warranty, check qld af for a recent post about guppy's.

The eheim double taps are the best and well worth the extra money and warranty.

unfortunately its all been done.

I actually tried to cancel my order but apparently it has been sent out to me.

Wish me luck then. <_<

I work in a research facility and even our pressurized water piping are controlled using taps which have never given any leaks so far. So I actually do know which are the good'ish taps to look for.

However, i'm a little concerned about the warranty problems that has been reported in the other thread.

Seems like I didn't do my research enough before purchase, but I hope Andries proves me wrong when I do have any problems.

the quietest i had is the aqua nova 1500 LPH, but then again it was the only i had, but for the price it was worth it, lasted me two years and counting. Check out aqua fanatics thhink they have them at a good price

Aqua Nova 1500LPH is famous for leaking, I had one and it leaked and I know some other people also had same problem, went with Eheim and never look back.

Yeah i heard stories of them too, but for me it never happened

Okay, update.

My item arrived on saturday afternoon. total of 7 days from the time i clicked "purchase" on the website to the time it arrived at my house.

the filter itself is now hooked up to my tank and is working nicely.

It is not DEAD silent, but i can't hear it when i'm about 2.5 meters away from the filter (sitting on a carpet, with cabinet doors open). I'm happy enough with this level of sound as i'm normally at least several meters away from the tank anyway.

The box itself came nicely packed. The filter includes the following:

- Complete canister

- Inlet and output spray with 1 long tube

- 4x suckers to attach the inlet/outlet

- 1 blue rough filter pad, 1 white fine filter pad, and 1x black fine filter pad. In total it takes up about 20% of the filter space.

So basically i hooked it up, sucked on the outlet (still clean) for abit, and everything started flowing. So priming isn't too hard. I'm looking to buy the taps (maybe eheim maybe not). And then I turn the switch on. Thats all.

The flow rate although rated 680lph, seems as good as the flow rate as my other 1000lph canister. In practical terms it is definitely to give good water flow in my 2.5ft tank (maybe a lil too much) but happy with flow rate.

The only problem (maybe not a problem) is that it didn't come with an invoice. Emailed andries and waiting to see what he says about sending the guarantee card. stay tuned.

:thumb

Andries adviced using the emailed invoice. Print and attach.

Seems like i'll have Eheim warranty after all. :D

Speaking of grey imports,..

the filter power outlet is not an australia plug head. Its the same plug as used back in malaysia! So it came with a converter. I don't mind though since i might bring it back with me when i leave australia. :p

Edit: I managed to make it go nearly silent by placing a small bag 250g of aquarium salt on the top of the filter. Seems like the top casing is resonating with the impeller vibration and making noise like a lil drum. Once i put a finger on the top of the filter it stops making any noise. So i guess i'll just leave the bag of salt on top of it for now.

I hope this is the "wearing in" of the impeller and that it runs better in a few days. Can someone who have owned multiple classics describe the noise level of their 2215 units? Can you hear the filter running when you put your head 50cm from the filter? or do you really have to touch it?

Anyone know if The Reef Shop is the same as Guppy's in that they sell grey imports?

Got any feedback to give on The Reef Shop?

Cheers Craig.

pretty sure there different, as guppys is in qld and reef shop is in vic

well... seems like its not "wearing in" that is making the humming noise. still going although i got all the air out.

my 2215 now have:

- very light hum audible from 1.5m away (if i try hard to hear it)

- a crackling noise when i put my head ~20cm from it.

It is not as "silent" as i hoped. Is this normal for the classic range or is there something wrong?

If i get mostly "this is normal" feedback then i'll just live with it.

Is there any diameter reduction in your tubing?

Are you using a spray bar? What is the lift height?

Too much tubing?

Check how your pump works with no load and only the hoses, no tank end fittings !!

eg. at the same level into a large bucket & back & check the pump noise.

If there is noise at this level you might have an air or impellor problem.

Could even be a "tubing diameter too small" issue.

Next, move the bucket to above your lift height & check again.

If the noise increases your pump is not coping with the lift.

If it doesn't, add the fittings to the "IN" tube & see if it starts to strain the pump.

Then add the fittings to the "OUT" tube and see if the load increases.

Your problem should appear somewhere through this process.

If it doesn't, then you need to check what is happening when you return the water into the tank.

If, for instance, you were using a J shaped bend upside down and the tube was connected to the short end then you have more load than using a spray bar.

This pressure can be reduced by drilling a few holes along the length, below the water line.

jmo, but hth,

Old Dave

Good suggestion old dave... though there are a few things i don't really understand.

- I didn't notice there is a short/long end to the j-bar. I'll have to check to understand what u mean.

- the flow i measured is 135gph (close to others reported online) so i assume no reduction in flow.

Also,

- I'm using the spray bar with open end.

- the spray bar is below water level so no lift height at all. Canister about 20cm below bottom of tank.

I'm going to try run it without any media the next time i take it apart to see if the noise is contributed by my extra mechanical filtration pads.

The reef shop to my knowledge dont sell grey imports; its just guppies smile.gif

It is possible that things have changed over the past 2 years but they used to.

cheers

rosco

Raise the canister as it should be within 10cm of the bottom of the tank. The higher the better as it is less strain on the pump.

I also note you did not get media, which is exe.

Aqua Nova 1500LPH.

On my display tank I have the return pipe under the water line and it is virtually silent in the enclosed cabinet.

The only noise you can hear from in the tank is the internal filter due to the airation (still very quiet though)...

Raise the canister as it should be within 10cm of the bottom of the tank. The higher the better as it is less strain on the pump.

I also note you did not get media, which is exe.

I'll also try raising it.

I shd have time over the weekend to experiment with it :D

I have a bunch of media from my previous filter that i just dumped over. It even overfilled and i had to remove some. Maybe i packed too much media causing strain to the flow.... anyway i'll try out the few suggestions by this weekend and we shall see.

Archived