C. freidrichstalii?

Luke Austin

Hey everyone,

I was checking out the LFS's in Newcastle yesterday and saw a fish which was labelled as Ciclasoma freidricstalii (spelling?), they looked alot like a young jag, they were hammering the young synspilum in with them....

anyone have any idea as to what they are, I did some searches and they came up trumps.

cheers, Luke. wink.gif

Hi

I have an adult freddie and have kept them before. I've posted on them before.

They are very similar in appearance to jags only without such intense markings (they are much closer to C.motaguense).

Many of the fredrichstahli in Australia appear to have an albino gene and they can change to albino and back again ( its 100% true - I've had several do this!).

Problem with the albino gene is that it affects their vision and both the last adult I had and the one I have now went completely blind.Norm from Riverside Aquariums has also had this change from normal to albino and back again happen with some of his freddies.

My current fish has been completely blind for nearly 2 years now but is healthy,

eats fine and has no problems swimming or getting along with his tankmates.

I've always found them considerably less aggressive than jags in their general behavior.

Nick

off the top of my head, I'm thinking they get to 8"-"10.m I have them in several American community tanks with other americans including Green Terrors, Texas, Synspilum, Black Belts, and some others. they dont cause any trouble at all. In fact you may want to make sure they dont get picked on

Hi all,

Many of the fredrichstahli in Australia appear to have an albino gene and they can change to albino and back again ( its 100% true - I've had several do this!).

How is this possible?

merjo

merjo

The fredrichstahli's I've had ( including the current one I have) were true albinos -

not a golden strain. Changed from normal brown/black markings to whitey pink with red eyes ( then eventually blind). About every 6 months they began to partially morph back to normal colouring and develop dark body patches and a yellowy hue but over a couple of weeks this disapears and they went back to albino.

They also stopped growing at about 15cm. The one male I have now is abt 3 years old and 13-15cm in size.

I have no idea what the explanation is - this is the third freddie I've had that has

gone through this metamorphisis.

Nick

They are a beautiful fish!! awesome!! but they are quite timid and would get beaten up by fish like Rivulatus, Jack Dempseys, and anything like that, they seem to do quite well with firemouths and alike. I want to see some of that morphing!!! sounds cool

adam

Archived