female golden occies

graceless

Hey,

My female golden occie, which i've only had for a few days is starting to get dank patches on her. like blobs of dark coloration. and she's just hanging out behind the filter.

what's wrong with her? can anyone suggest anything?

grace

People will need some info to help. Are there any other fish in the tank - what species and sizes. What are the water parameters - pH, temp etc. Is the tank cycled correctly. What are you feeding.

People will need some info to help. Are there any other fish in the tank - what species and sizes. What are the water parameters - pH, temp etc. Is the tank cycled correctly. What are you feeding.

ok... thanks for the advice.

it is a 2 ft tank. the only other fish in there are 2 other occies. they are all between 2.5 and 4cm, with the "sick" one being the smallest.

there's one anubias and a coral sand substrate. lots of shells. like 2 each!

the pH is just about 8 and the water is at 20 degress.

i have been feeding them ciclid pellets (just the staple stuff) and bloodworms every 3rd day.

as far as cycling goes, i think it was cycled correctly. what is correctly though? lik how should i have done it?

Cheers

Grace

20 degrees if that is correct is too cold - should be 26-28 deg C. Make sure your measurement is correct As to cycling - you need to know that a tank can take 2-4 weeks to cycle. There are some good references on the web and on this site regarding cycling. Do you have any other tanks that have had fish in them for some time.

20 degrees if that is correct is too cold - should be 26-28 deg C. Make sure your measurement is correct As to cycling - you need to know that a tank can take 2-4 weeks to cycle. There are some good references on the web and on this site regarding cycling. Do you have any other tanks that have had fish in them for some time.

sorry. that was a typo. it was meant to be 27.

i had cycled it for a few days before putting them in.

i have 2 other tanks at the moment. another 2 ft with a saulosi breeding colony in it, and a 4 ft with a mixture of africans in it.

If the other tanks have been running for some time I would change 50% of the water in the occies tank with water from one of the others. I would say you may have an ammonia spike from not having cycled the tank.

Yup - i agree

Ammonia spike. You need to get some filter material from an established filter from another one of your tanks or someone elses tank. PM me if you need some help/advice Grace. Oh and lay off feeding them so much for the next week.

WW

Those dark blobs can happen with stress. Are the other fish showing any symptoms? If not, they might be whacking her. Being the smallest and hiding out behind the filter makes me think that. If they are all showing stress there could be more things going on, like the ammonia spike the others were talking about.

I have found a 2ft is OK for 2 ocies if they get on together. But if they don't then it's too small (eg a male who wants to breed and a female who doesn't). I didn't have success with 1M 2F in a 2ft and sold the extra female. A 2ft is OK to raise a group of young ocies in, but when they start breeding behaviours, it's too small for more than a pair.

BTW, a breeding colony of saulosi in a 2ft? Is it a standard 2ft? How many fish do you have in there?

I have seen salousi's bred in a 2ft tank before. 1 male and 2 females. Seemed to churn out the fry for their owner...

I agree with Fiona - the occies do get blotchy when they are stressed.

Yeah I agree with that. Meant to mention it but forgot. I find that groups of shells works better than single shells, and spread the groups around the tank. So a group of 3 over here ... a group of 2 over there ... another group of 3 here ... and another group over there ... more groups than fish, and plants/rocks in the line of sight between the groups.

Although you will probably still find that one pair in a 2fter is about right.

Those dark blobs can happen with stress. Are the other fish showing any symptoms? If not, they might be whacking her. Being the smallest and hiding out behind the filter makes me think that. If they are all showing stress there could be more things going on, like the ammonia spike the others were talking about.

I have found a 2ft is OK for 2 ocies if they get on together. But if they don't then it's too small (eg a male who wants to breed and a female who doesn't). I didn't have success with 1M 2F in a 2ft and sold the extra female. A 2ft is OK to raise a group of young ocies in, but when they start breeding behaviours, it's too small for more than a pair.

BTW, a breeding colony of saulosi in a 2ft? Is it a standard 2ft? How many fish do you have in there?

hi fiona. none of the other fish are showing the signs.

i think she is being bullied a bit. she does come out from behind the filter, and doesn't look blotchy at all in the light, but then she swims around and darts back behind it. then she looks blotchy again.

i'm reluctant to think it's an ammonia spike, beacause of the comfort of the other two. although, they keep a fair bit of distance from eachother.

?????? i have to look at where i can put her, bur sadly tonight there is not other option but to leave her in there. if she's scared in there, she'll DIE of scaredness in my big tank with all of my bigger fish.

re the "breeding colony" - i use this term loosely. it's actually one nearly mature male and 5 juvies. they all seem pretty happy together in the tank. they LOVE digging. under any place where there's room for them to dig they have dug the 2ish inches of coral sand i have in there all the way to the glass.

thanks for your advice.

grace

Also, 2 shells each doesnt sound like a whole lot to me? Maybe you need to add some more shells, and place them in distictly different territories in the tank?

that's a good point. i'll get on to it first thing tomorrow.

thanks!

AMAZING!!

i just put up some rock walls between the sets of shells and she was straight out to them as soon as they were hidden.

HOWEVER, my number one bully suspect (big male) has chased her away from her shells. he's acting like he owns every shell in the tank, and despite there being visible barriers now, he is still patrolling all of the shells.

grace

If you have a big fella and 5 smaller ones, think about putting the big one into a fry saver so he can't boss the others around. A biggish one and give him some shells and stuff, he'll be OK in there for a while.

What would be happening is that he has claimed the entire territory for himself and the others can't stand up to him to claim any of their own. I have found that a dominant male is quite capable of claiming an entire 2ft tank, barriers and all. If he has a ripe female she is allowed to share the territory. If she's not in breeding condition, he wants her out of there. At least that has been my experience. The female will claim territory within that territory, but not such a large territory as the male. It's actually very interesting.

If he is out of the picture, the others may carve the territory up between themselves, or they may not be strongly territorial yet (I should mention that very small ocies are territorial but they don't claim a large area).

The fish you have in that tank are not balanced, especially for the size of the tank.

I think you are likely to have trouble if you have the big bloke with the littler ones in a 2ft tank, and when the littler ones grow up, you will have too many fish and have to rehome some of them anyway. Can you get another tank to separate the fish? Can you pick out which ones you want to keep now and sell the rest? Those would be your best options.

Fry saver link. These are good. Many people on this forum have made and use these!!

well, everything seems to be ok today.

just a clarification: i only have 3 occies in the 2ft tank.

the barriers between shells have allowed for 2 of them to have their own area, but the victimized girl is still a bit standoff-ish, but not in hiding anymore.

still a bit patchy, but looking a lot better.

cheers for all your help and advice guys

Grace

Archived