Electric Yellow Colouration

jamo

Hi everybody,

I have been breeding electric yellows for the past six months with much success. Currently have 52 juveniles from several broods. Range in size from still with yolk sac to 3cm. All male and females adults that i have been using to breed look to be good quality with no markings and bright colouration. However this does not appear to have been passed on to the juveniles as they are all a brown/yellow colour - rather than the bright yellow seen in stores (with fish of similar size to mine).

I am hoping to sell them at some stage and wanted to know what others thought i could try to brighten them up. (or what may have caused the poor colouration).

Food they have been fed includes cichlid flakes (OSI), live baby brine shrimp (personally hatched), spirinella flakes (I don't can't remember how to spell). Once larger they also get occasional ffedings of frozen brine shrimp.

In terms of tank conditions that may have an effect.

Tanks are stacked on shelves in laundry - only lit by ceiling and windows so not heaps of light entering juvenile tanks. Sides of tank have been blacked out so light is only entering from front. Tank is bare bar a few rocks and a sponge filter. Water quality is fine with no ammonia or nitrite and temp of 28oC. When last tested pH and hardness were both at levels suitable for elec yellows.

Any advice would be great

Thanks in advance Jamo

you could feed them some tetrabits not every day but 3-4 times a week , if the parents are of good quality then the fry should be too so maybe they need to get a bit bigger before you compare them ,

I have the exact same circumstances, and was also told to start feeding Tetra-Bits by LFS.

Have only been doing for a week and have noticed a slight improvement in colour.

Am intrested to see any further hints here.

Jim

I am having the same dramas with my yellow juveniles. Not up to the standards of the adults.

I think some people may expect too much colour in small fish though? They start a duller colour for a reason I would think - to avoid predation until they get some decent size about them.

I have found young yellows to be variable in colour. I have had yellows, that grew up to superb adulthood, which were pale, or smutty, often with dark barring, at some stages of their life. (I'm not sure how much of this is environmental.) I have bought in a number of top quality lines of yellows and have found this to be the case, one group was pale and I might have been disappointed if I hadn't realised how variable they could be; nobody could call them pale now. I don't colour feed at all, just let the quality (or not) of the fish show. That way I can keep the best and know they are honest quality fish.

If yours are dark and muddy you might be feeding too much spirulina? That could make them go too dark. Not done it myself but have heard that's the case. Certainly heard it can promote the dark smut on the bodies/face of yellows. At 3cm your fish are only small so may look quite different when older. You might want to grow them up a bit before selling them anyway, 3cm is considered a minimum sale size for fish the size of a yellow.

Go easy on the tetra bits! Or they will be electric oranges! I saw once saw one group of young yellows with white bellies (coz not high quality yellows) and orange tops from the colour feeding, the tyros were probably impressed, but from where I was it looked awful.

I had a colony that I sold off about 6 months ago. My babies were exceptionally bright.

I think that the problem here is pretty simple. E Yellows are Mbuna. They are pretty much oportunistic feeders but really they love a vegetarian diet. To substitute the vegetabe matter in thier diet I put some frozen peas in the tank about once a week. Apart from that I just fet them flakes and pellets that I bought from the Syd Cichlid society.

They were never fed the same food 2 days running.

It worked with mine but they also had a lot of natural light and there was also always some nice green moss growing.

Archived