2 tier setup advice

tangka

hi guys

Planning on setting up more tanks and need some advise on a sump style setup. I've seen this plumbing used in a couple of fish shops and was told its the easiest way.

i know it has its flaws e.g the bottom tank gets the crap from the above tank but hopefully the top tank should be crystal clear to effect the below tank.

the setup will be 4x2x2's (This is a very basic diagram)

questions

If i plumb it this way where should i place the gate valves on the diagram?

What size dia holes for inlet and outlet (25 and 32mm)?

Will a 6000L pump be sufficent?

I plan to place some sort of rubber mesh around the top of the standpipes to stop smaller fish being sucked down, what is the method and wont restrict the flow to much?

if someone has a diagram of a simplier way or a more efficent way which wont cost alot of extra $$$ can you please post up??

thanks

daniel

IPB Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hey mate ,

does the top tank drain straight into the bottom or into the weir ?

if it drops into the tank first then down the weir wont all the crap from top tank contaminate bottom tank ?

Peter

the top tank drains straight into the bottom. The pipe sits 2-3cm under the water level of the top tank and drains into the bottom tank. (collecting water from the surface)

no weirs are used in either tank, the pipe acts as the weir.

i hope this makes sense, i think afew people use this type of setup out there. anyone?

I would recommend just do separate plumbing for inlets and outlets. You can join the outlets for both tanks into one pipe BUT you should expand the outlet pipe to break the vacuum. For example if the water coming out of the tank is comes out using 25 mm expand it to 32 or 40mm PVC pipe. You should also have a smaller inlet than outlet piping. I my memory serves me most 6000l per hour pumps will have a 25 mm pipe so you will need at least a 32 mm drain 40mm. This is mainly due to gravity draining.

Also, you should always have the inlets the shortest distance from the pump and the outlets the other end. The pump size will depend on the plumbing. So swap the bottom tank around 180 degrees

cheers

rosco

thanks rosco

is this what you mean about plumbing it seperately? Then put a valve on each return and inlet pipe? ok what size hole do i tell the tank maker to drill 32 or 38mm?

what to find out where i should get the holes drilled on each take (same side or opposite sides) and what size hole.

-dan

IPB Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by tangka

I cannot see the picture at work, maybe I can check when i get home. But if you want a 32mm outlet pipe you need a 40mm hole (38mm might do the job depending on type of bulkhead you use) I am not exactly sure. I have always had my tanks drilled through the base but others have their through the back or side. Space around the tanks has always been my problem so that is why I like my tanks drilled through the bottom others have different opinions.

Edit I have seen the photos and that does look better

cheers

rosco

Edited by rosco