Feeling a little down this morning

rosco

Hi all,

I had a shocking week and to top it off I lost my favourite fish last night, my male red empress toohard.gif . He was over 18 months old and in the first batch of africians that I bought. He was the king of the tank, a spectacular looking fish and our favourite fish a very sad day in the PR household sadsmiley02.gif

PR

Sorry to hear that rosco - i know whats its like - i have been there before - lost my best male venustus to bloat two years ago.

Sounds like you are going through a rough patch. Hope you pull through OK mate!

Thanks Steve, hopefully things will start to improve. I would not have minded if that meddlesome tangerine zebra had gone to the big lake in the sky. It is always the ones that you like that die

Rosco

Hey Rosco,

I know how you feel, two weeks ago I managed to kill my female Blue Acara (got distracted and forgot to add water conditioner during a water change). I feel guilty everytime I look at her lonely mate.

Mike

I'm not from ACT but i read this post and it makes me wanna cry sadsmiley02.gifsadsmiley02.gifsadsmiley02.gif I lost my female Green Terror... my fault mainly but my dog didn't help!!!!

I was doing a lil' scrub in the GT's tank and then she decided to jump clean out of the tank (the opposite end i might add) straight onto the floor in front of my Miniture Foxies.. Maddy and Lilly... and Lilly being the lil' brat of a dog she is.. decided she'd pick it up and go throw it around the backyard.. So before i could say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo she had already had it in her mouth and was running like a rabiit through the backyard.... By the time i finally caught her... Female GT was dead... She was about 10 - 12cm.... i miss her sadsmiley02.gif She was a wonderful fish... I shall learn from my mistakes.. that's for sure....

And i'm sorry to hear about your fish mate. sad.gif

Cameron.

That's a terrible story Cameron (as is roscos), but I can't help but smile when I think about it from your dog's point of view. She must have thought is was a terrific game, with you chasing her around the backyard and her in posession of the trophy laugh.gif

Hopefully you can both find suitable replacements for your fish.

Thanks guys,

I am feeling a little better tonight but it is so depressing when you lose your favourites isnt it sad.gif .

My story does not compare to yours Mezzacam but talk about bad luck. That sounds like the kind of thing that would happened to me.

thanks

Rosco smile.gif

Rosco

If you are interested I have a spare male red empress that I could pass one. I have a very dominant male and his offspring and the young bloke gets chased round and round and round.

If you are interested let me know

peter

Peter and Richard maybe you to should get together and exchange fish laugh.gif . Thanks for the offer but the only place I could put them is in 4' "display" tank with lovely lime green coloured water. this is probably the reason that my fella died in the first place sadsmiley02.gif . I may be interested in the offspring however laugh.gif.

To add insult to injury last night I lost my 17cm electric blue male from my other crystal clear 4' tank sadsmiley02.gif , and the hits just keep on coming. toohard.gif

Still on the bright side I now have a vitually empty 4' tank once I get rid of those pesty convicts. I reckon I could them with a hammer and they would stand up, grab the hammer off me and give me a belting laugh.gif

What male:female ratio do you require for Red Empress?

Peter, I'm keen to grab your Red Empress but probably not for a couple of weeks. Is that Ok? How big is he? How much? etc?

Can I give you a call? 6299 0483 is my number.

Willy, sounds like you need to clean your tanks and buy some fish at the meeting. tongue.gif

Cheers

Richard

Richard,

I believe that you would at least need a three but I think the more females the better as I have read that the male just ignores the females after he has done his job. Just check out their profile here.

Believe you me I have been trying everything that the SCP knowledge base (the users) and the LFS have to offer with no luck, this algeal bloom just won't go. Laurie has offered the use of his UV Steriliser for a short term solution and I intend to start planting the tank for a longer term solution. It all happened 2 days after they switched Canberra water supply off in favour of Queanbeyan stuff.

Personally, I think that it is a conspiracy of the Queanbeyan-ites to start a public outcry from Canberrans to tell this so called ACT "government" to get there act together and leave Googong water alone. And infact I think that you actually give us the bad stuff and keep the good stuff for yourselves, a cunning plan. wink.gif .

And I will be bringing some cash along to the meeting so bring on the plants and the occies thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

cheers

Rosco laugh.giflaugh.gif

ps Also did you read my response to your meeting post? Might be a good idea.

Rosco - are you using dechlorinator in your water?

Both those fish that have died looked fine to me when i last saw them?

Willy,

I stopped using dechlorinator about 18 months ago when I put too much in a 2' tropical tank and wiped out my tank. I now put the hose on for about 5 minutes and water the garden then I blast it into the water container that I use and I can smell the Chlorine coming out of the water.

I think that big blue died because I did not notice until last night tha the filter was barely working due to a slight blockage and even the convicts were a bit slow. It is very annoying as he was the biggest and best good looking guy (after the red) I had I was pretty keen to get him on a breeding program. The tanks were both due water change, as I do them on alternate weeks. You are right, they were both were eating normally and very active the night before they died so I am baffled.

cheers

Rosco

Archived