DIY Denitrator

cpfc

I used silicone. What is the issue with it? Seems to hold pretty well. I will see if I have a piece of plastic around I can drill holes in. I did my back in on Saturday and that with numerous water changes on my main tank due to an overdose of Excel I have been lacking time.

I used silicone. What is the issue with it? Seems to hold pretty well. I will see if I have a piece of plastic around I can drill holes in. I did my back in on Saturday and that with numerous water changes on my main tank due to an overdose of Excel I have been lacking time.

Silicon does not bond as well to plastics, as will PVC Plumber's glue.

To put it another way; it's PVC, use PVC glue.

The absolute last thing you need is for it to leak, and putting pressure on a silicon glued PVC can break the seal (it should come off fairly easily if I recall correctly if you remove it by hand), and with its position, lowest in the tank holds the potential to drain the whole tank Dependant on leak intensity.

Get the correct one too as there is green and blue plumbers glue, and one is for pressure pipe the other for non-pressure pipe.

I have a piece of plastic around I can drill holes in

It needs to look like a piece of egg crate when finished = LOTS of holes. Be simpler to get an egg crate off-cut if available.

I will give it a pull apart and pressure test. It is bonded in a way that should hold a seal. I am in no rush so will test well. I just cannot believe the prices of the commercial denitrators. If I was to do this from a sump I have found a couple of appropriate pumps. The EHeim compact 300 and an Reptile One pump. I wish I had the money for an EHeim 2217 and I could just use the CF500 I have.

• 1 month later...

I will give it a pull apart and pressure test. It is bonded in a way that should hold a seal. I am in no rush so will test well. I just cannot believe the prices of the commercial denitrators. If I was to do this from a sump I have found a couple of appropriate pumps. The EHeim compact 300 and an Reptile One pump. I wish I had the money for an EHeim 2217 and I could just use the CF500 I have.

Any results to report back with yet cpfc?

Not yet. I have this nagging feeling I will flood the room with this.

Any results to report back with yet cpfc?

Archived