My Current project 8x2.5x2.5

Stuart86

As a next step Stu, I would cap off the bulkheads, put the tank on polystyrene with some newspaper between tank and polystyrene (to make leaks easier to see) and fill to the top and let it sit for a few days.

What glass thickness did you use to seal the bottom?

BTW - when you glue in the glass rods, don't take them so close to the bottom that you cause the tubing to kink.

As a next step Stu, I would cap off the bulkheads, put the tank on polystyrene with some newspaper between tank and polystyrene (to make leaks easier to see) and fill to the top and let it sit for a few days.

What glass thickness did you use to seal the bottom?

BTW - when you glue in the glass rods, don't take them so close to the bottom that you cause the tubing to kink.

Great advice Craig, newspaper idea is brilliant. :thumbup:

Glass thickness on the bottom is 12mm I believe.

Thanks for the advice I will give that a go. I was wondering if i should test fill before i silicone the weirs in, as it will be alot more work to have to remove weirs to repair leaks.

Whats the newspaper for?

Thanks mate.

Stu

Thanks for the advice I will give that a go. I was wondering if i should test fill before i silicone the weirs in, as it will be alot more work to have to remove weirs to repair leaks.

Whats the newspaper for?

Thanks mate.

Stu

good idea they would make it a lot harder to repair if you need to . lets hope it holds!

• 2 weeks later...

Not much has been happening lately with the tank build, except for temporally siliconing glass patches over where the bulkheads will be, in preparation for the big test fill. which will be happening tomorrow.

Wish me luck lol

STU

As Craig said test it first.Be interesting if 12mm is thick enough? but you have double thickness so.I'd be inclined to use 2 sheets of foam under it. Lot of weight in that tank, But what a showpiece it will be, good luck!!

Archived