My completed rack set up

Stuart86

Looks like diatoms to me (brown algae).

It is just algae. You have used a clear tubing and the light gets in. It can potentially reduce the water flow by creating resistance.

So what would be the best way to stop the algae? Should i re-plumb wit PVC?

I have been noticing that one male red empress has been coloring up quite quickly since I separated them into 2m 6f. They are all at 6-7cm and he is looking awesome.

Ill load a photo up in a few minutes...

Stu

I have been noticing that one male red empress has been coloring up quite quickly since I separated them into 2m 6f. They are all at 6-7cm and he is looking awesome.

Stu

just tip a bottle of mould killer in your sump mate , that'l fix everything :lol1:

P.S: I take no responsibility for anyone taking my advice , for the simplefact it is wrong...

thank you , come again.....

Stu

Any tubing you use will get a bio film and or algae (if there is light). It is not poo . Using a non transparent tubing will eliminate the algae, as will preventing the clear tubing from getting light by being the left in the dark (under a cabinet). You will still get a bit bio film which is easily cleaned with one of those "pipe" type cleaners with a brush. You might need to make your own as the retail ones are only short. If it gets coated in a hard algae, or algae that is too hard for the pipe cleaner to remove, thing can get difficult. Depending where it is located you may just have to live with it.

Basically you have to accept that the tubing won't remain pristine, but you should design to eliminate algae to reduce another area of maintenance.

Clean the tube using one of those push through brushes that are attached to a length of cable and then to help stop the growth from re-occuring, wrap some black electrical tape or even the grey wider tape you get from the hardware around the clear tubing.....that way you don't have to re plumb the whole lot.

Archived