My mixed cichlid tank

Chris.K

its just a 14mp olympus digital camera, when i use the flash i get the reflection of the flash from the glass ....

unfortunately its tough to get good quality shots out of compacts cos the sensor is so small and you have that bit of shutter lag to cope with. the flash reflection is cos the pop up flash is on the same angle as the lens so you will always get the reflection. the only way to avoid it with flash is to shoot with the flash at a 45deg angle to the lens which is impossible with a built in flash. try increasing your light levels inside the tank and shooting with the flash off.

Great Looking tank. I have a Canon 400D what sought of settings would you recomend??

scotty, do you have an external flash unit ? what lens do you have ?

Just built in flash, I have an 18-55 and 50mm lens

todays additions. faces only a mother could love.

3xAltolamprologus compressiceps Gold

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

quite bizzarre tank reaction to these fellows. the mbambas looked like they were kissing them on the body. they were tiny little nudges but only using their lips...definately not pecks. the comps wouldnt move. never seen anything like it. whats that all about ? is that the way fish "smell" ??

new edition from mark at asquith today. he's doing great although the boss keeps a close eye on him.

Sciaenochromis fryeri

IPB Image

and a couple up close with the cuckoos. i love that you can get a good look at the facial features, whiskers etc here.

IPB Image

IPB Image

You have something good happening there Chris. It can be hard to stay away from that Asquith shop.

yepp the blue is a real beauty. i had to return a red jewel that i bought. id really like that red colour for the tank but unfortunately it was just that bit too small and it was copping a flogging from the minute i put it in. at one point it did try and stand up for itself which i though was good but that just resulted in just about every fish in the tank getting stuck in, so i took it out before it sustained any damage. the EB was released into the tank at the same time and fit right in so i dont know why the jewel was attacked so badly.

They are beatiful fish but it is good you nipped the agression before it got severe. We got some cherry barbs for our community tank. One aggressive male just went for the red eyes of the Tetras. The Barbs now have a new home. The Mrs hoped they would reduce the algae. Instead they reduced the fish population. There must be something about red.

EBs are a known toughie although you never know the personality of the individual.

yepp the blue is a real beauty. i had to return a red jewel that i bought. id really like that red colour for the tank but unfortunately it was just that bit too small and it was copping a flogging from the minute i put it in. at one point it did try and stand up for itself which i though was good but that just resulted in just about every fish in the tank getting stuck in, so i took it out before it sustained any damage. the EB was released into the tank at the same time and fit right in so i dont know why the jewel was attacked so badly.

• 1 month later...

I guess that cloudiness went then.

updated tank shot. i swear looking at it the water is so crystal clear that you cant tell there's any in there. that eheim filtration is just bad a$$.

yepp, cloudiness must have been bacteria bloom. it went away then a week or so after that the frothy bubbles went away. then some algae came along, added the plecos and clown loaches and all of thats gone too. those loaches really work overtime keeping the tank spotless. awesome little buggers.

i have lost 2 fish so far. a maingano got sick with i dont know what. he looked like he was drunk in the evening and couldnt swim straigh. the next morning all that was left was his skeleton on the bottom of the tank. the other fatality was an alto comp who jumped out of the tank sometime during the night, (i forgot to put a lid back on), what an idiot i am.

Very nice tank and selection of fish. Is that Venentus on the top left hand side? If it is I would probably take that out as you end up with a species only tank. That has insired me to get my 4x2x2 running and perhaps even make the effort to get some more universal background.

cheers

rosco

yes, it is a venustus; if he gets too agro as he gets bigger i'll remove him. so far he is growing very slowly compared to the rest so i may get another 6-9months before i need to worry about it. what do you mean by species only tank ?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

what do you mean by species only tank ?

He will kill everything that is in and goes into the tank until he is the only fish there :thumb

cheers

rosco

I have a couple of Venustus in with my Africans and they don't seem to be agressive at all.

LOVE your tank!!! Your photos are fantastic. I want to go get a DSLR now!

Archived