New to cichlids

secaboy

Hi all i'm Chris and i'm new to cichlids. I have a 90ltr tank with at the moment just 2 fish.... One Electric Yellow and one Acei.

What is the best food to feed them and what else can i pu twith them with out them killing each other.

Thanks,

Hi Chris, welcome.

Depends how big your 2 fish are.Male or female?

90 Lt is not very big so you may just add more of the same.

some catfish?,

Some good flake food, pellets etc but best to buy a few foods and mix them.

Try looking at the shops above, plenty to choose from.

John

could also add a couple of electric blues an a few bristlenose and try feeding them brine shrimp and or blood worms available from most lfs

Electric blues can grow 20cm+. Much to big for a small tank. I would so some research on smaller, more peaceful mbuna and compile a list of your interests. Variety is good with food. I feed my staple dry foods with occasional froZen/live foods like brine shrimp.

Both of my fish are about 4cm and i think there males. i was told only to feed them with only alge crisps as they could blote die and poison the other fish...

I wanna get some BN's for my tank but not sure what size to get them

Where can i get some brine eggs to breed and feed my other fish ( Ghost Knife, Tetras ect )

Edited by secaboy

Malawi Bloat is an important consideration in what you feed your Africans. I use New Life Spectrum Cichlid Pellets and vege flakes. Some make their own food or use flake (have a browse of the DIY section). My BNs are now about 5cm but were grown elsewhere before they went in at 4 cm.

Enjoy the research and join in the fun.

Both of my fish are about 4cm and i think there males. i was told only to feed them with only alge crisps as they could blote die and poison the other fish...

I wanna get some BN's for my tank but not sure what size to get them

Regarding your question as to what to feed your fish; this can be a highly contentious question, believe it or not.

Commercially prepared dry foods have been prepared/created the same old way for most of the aquarium industry’s history, and the old adage “feed a variety” was due to the fact ALL dry commercial foods were deficient in some way. So by feeding a variety, you covered these deficiencies. Unfortunately these foods also have cheap “fillers” with little to no nutritional value, so by feeding a variety, you also gave them a variety of fillers. This meant you were buying something that the fish could not digest ($), and this made more waste in the aquarium as it was excreted out rather than digested (= more maintanence).

NLS is the only commercially prepared dry food on the market that has been made with new knowledge and modern development, and can be feed as an exclusive food. You are better to feed it exclusively as you won’t be adding these cheap fillers with little to no nutritional value.

At the end of the day, when you make your choice of food, read the label of ingredients on the back of the bottle and compare with NLS.

Hi Chris - and welcome to the illness that is cichlid keeping!

Have you looked into some of the smaller Africans at all? Some of the small and delightfully coloured Tanganyikans could fit in there quite comfortably and hold their own against the acei and yellow very well. I recommend Julidochromis marliei "Gombe", Neolamprologus cylindricus, Cyprichromis leptosoma "Malasa", or Neolamprologus leleupi longior. Look these up and see if they grab you. All should be frequently available.

As for the food, everyone here will have their own preferred brands and methods. I say do your homework and come to an educated decision based on what you believe. You will need to consider the natural diet of the fish you select and provide a feeding regime to match. You definitely do not have to limit it to algae wafers to avoid bloat. Plenty else will be good as well!

Keep us posted as to what you decide - and ask away with anything you want to know.

Cheers,

Andrew.

:raisehand: Welcome Chris

enjoy the hobby it can be an addiction as has been mentioned :lol2:

Malawi cichlids are a good starter group especially Mbuna (the algae scraping

rock species) the first thing you need to do is remember the correct species names

of the fish you keep and do some homework on them and before you buy any

more to add to your collection

what species of Acei do you have ?

Personal preference is what it's about so .... do you just want a display tank or like

most intend to breed the fish also

For display then look at fish that grow to a medium size, varied colours and shape

if you intend to breed then look at keeping this a species tank and get a group of

one species for it

Electric Yellows come up well in this type of set up especially with a black background

and good quality yellow's

Regarding food a varied diet is good but only buy in quantities that you will feed over

a couple of months so it doesnt become stale or damp

Buy a good quality staple and Spirolina flake or pellets of the correct size for small fish

that you alternated feeds with you can also feed live or frozen brine shrimp, live mozzie

wrigglers and or Daphnia

Have a look in the Tech section as there are a few good posts on Brine shimp

If you want to meet other's that have the cichlid addiction then come to a NSWCS meeting

have a look in the club section first Sat night of the month at Moorebank

Chris ( what a great name ;) )

hey mate, the tanks been up and running for about a week now. i know i need to get some stuff to fill in the scenary but will hopefully come in given weeks to come

hi there just have a look at www.livefish.com.au ...they have a good selection on there web site to look at an then go to your local to see if they got them or get themthere sorted in catagories like african /an american / discus / catfish etc.... has a good variety then if you like something an not sure of ask another question on this site ..these guys are very helpfull with info an someone will always answer ...the web site may be down for a couple of days gettin site updated they are :thumbup:

Chris

you should be more concerned about the filter bacteria as 1 week is not long enough

to establish your filter bacteria and with alkaline pH parameters can end up in grief

check the threads on here by ChrisK and cpfc on their startups

Did the shop that sold you the fish ask if it was a new setup

Are you using a bacteria starter to seed the filter ?

Sorry Fisshy but I would recommend local breeders, NSWCS and shops before livefish after seeing

the quality and prices of what had been sent to other forum members ........ you might have had

better luck with them

Chris

I agree.

Knowing about cycling and the nitrogen cycle is the abc of keeping fish in an aquarium although you already know this. Link2Hell is right to stress it.

Ammonia and nitrite are highly poisonous. An established aquarium filter has the necessary bacteria to convert the ammonia to nitrite and the nitrite to nitrate. You can speed up the process using a biostarter and very slowly adding fish although some disagree. A test kit keep you on top of where the cycling process is at.

When loading up do not stock too quickly otherwise you will have ammonia and nitrite spikes.

IMO part of the fun is chosing the fish in the shop and waiting(difficult) for the right stock.

All I can say is have fun researching as there are so many options out there.

Chris

you should be more concerned about the filter bacteria as 1 week is not long enough

to establish your filter bacteria and with alkaline pH parameters can end up in grief

check the threads on here by ChrisK and cpfc on their startups

Did the shop that sold you the fish ask if it was a new setup

Are you using a bacteria starter to seed the filter ?

Sorry Fisshy but I would recommend local breeders, NSWCS and shops before livefish after seeing

the quality and prices of what had been sent to other forum members ........ you might have had

better luck with them

Chris

hey, I have used Stress Zyme in my tank to help boost the biological filter process, in between adding this post i have added some new fish the other day.

I got 8 more electric Yellows, and i'm going to get a few java ferns to put in the background. Anyone got some good tips on planting them?

Steady on the stocking. Keep measuring your ammonia and nitrite.

I have attached my Java ferns to driftwood using rubber bands. You can use fishing line and I have heard of some people using super glue. The ferns will attach themselves eventually. I can also move the driftwood wherever I want when I rescape.

Anyhow main advice is hold off on adding more stock until you have cycled the tank. The bio starters are no substitute for a mature filter. Even an established tank needs to be loaded with care to avoid nitrite spikes.

hey, I have used Stress Zyme in my tank to help boost the biological filter process, in between adding this post i have added some new fish the other day.

I got 8 more electric Yellows, and i'm going to get a few java ferns to put in the background. Anyone got some good tips on planting them?