Can you believe it

Ducksta

Well after the ridiculous time I have had stripping a tank back to reseal it and then finding the silicone had gone bad in the new tube. (See my other 2 threads below)

I went to my local hardware shop which I have gone to since forever for bits and pieces and to the silicone section, only to find they no longer stock Selleys Window and Glass dry.gif I am traumatised. I can't believe the amount of trouble this little resealing adventure has caused. I should have just put a towel beside the tank and soaked up the slow leak (save doing water changes with buckets tongue.gif )

Guest Panga

Ducksta,

Wow its been a task for you mate.... Thats terrible that they dont stock the silicone anymore. Im sure they would be missing out on a little business with not stocking it.

Looks like you might have to find a new hardware to shop at sadsmiley02.gif

Cheers Troy biggrin.gif

What, no Selleys glass sealant at all? They don't make the old window and glass any more, at least not the old tube, they make "Glass" in a new tube, it says 'aquarium safe' and all my fish are fine. They didn't have any of that?

Yea, they stocked only one selleys silicone, not aquarium safe.

They no longer stock it because the cheaper crap rubbish silicone outsells it about 25/1. (I think its about $3 a tube cheaper) One of those said aquarium safe up to 30L, but dealing with a 300L tank I didn't feel like risking it. Plus, I dont like change! laugh.gif

hi john

FULLERS window & glass, really good. have used heaps of it.[ that does'nt come across as a good reference] i made most of my tanks, no probs so far[3yrs]

don't be afraid of change, technology marches forth. cheers; colfish

Ducksta

Goto LAMS at North Paramatta... Victoria Road (next to Bike Barn - corner of Church street)... Then you can cross the road to Macca's smile.gifsmile.gif

They Sell GE Silicone for tanks ~$12 per tube.

This is what I'm gonna buy when I finish cutting my glass.

Yep the GE 1200 is the go. I researched it a bit a few weeks back.

It's construction strength silicone safe for aquariums.

Does anyone know if Selleys 401 is aquarium safe?

It is acetic cure, but doesn't mention aquariums, just that it is the strongest in the selleys range.

Forget the Sellys stuff...

Also.. If it doesn't mention SAFE for AQUARIUMS... then don't use it.

Aquaqurium Glass Silicone needs to be:

1) The chemicals used are non-toxic to fish

2) The silicone is strong enough to keep the glass in place under the pressure of the water pushing the glass panes apart (silicone is under shear stress)

The GE Stuff at LAMS Auquariums is Industrial strength and is what big aquariums are made from.

The Selleys 401 is stronger by about 300% than the GE (according to people in the trade).

And it is labelled "Non-tixic when cured" or something like that. But I dont want to be the guinea pig tongue.giflaugh.gif

HAHAHA What a ridiculous predicament. I got my brother to pick up the silicone since I have been busy, and he didnt get an applicator nozzle dowhacky! And stupid me, had thrown out the old one yesterday! laugh.gif

Archived