White top Hara with callainos?

matsout

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question. I've got a few callainos in my display tank and was wondering if it's likely that white top haras will hybridize with callainos? I'm aware the risk exists with any mbuna, reason I ask is because the limited photos I have seen on the net of white top hara females show them looking very similar to cobalts.

Also is it true that mixing metriaclima will result in hybridization? ie callainos and kingsizei in place of hara. I'm assuming yes, but just want to check.

I'm clearly a newbie so your help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys.

Matt

Edited by matsout

I figured they would hybridize the colours are just soo similar.

No matter how much research you do earlier on before setting up a tank there's always something you come across later on and think "damm I wish I could have that fish". I guess it means I need another tank.... haha

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think Matt had them yet (that's the gist I get from the first post), but it would be cool if he could tell us where and when they were available...

I'm giggling a bit because I'd have to remove my own post if I told you all what Hara means in Maltese... LOL

I'm giggling a bit because I'd have to remove my own post if I told you all what Hara means in Maltese... LOL

The power of google/wiki! :8

Hara

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The word Hara can refer to:

General Meanings:

* In Maltese, Hara is the word used for feces

:blink:blink:blink

Edited by golden_dase

My, how resourceful we all are... faeces is a nice way of putting it. :p

hehehe

But seriously, I've just had a google of these White Top Haras and I am in lust - what a stunning fish! So if Matt has seen these around, I am sure many would be keen to know where...

hey everyone sorry only just realised there was some interest in my post.

I haven't seen any of these in real life unfortanatly, but I seen them on cichlid-forums.com, here's some links to some pictures of them.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=2626

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=156912

In that second link if you scroll down a bit you will see what I meen by the female being similar to the callainos, however she does have slight barring which the callainos lacks. Accoriding to the profile I listed they are a cynotilapia species.

It seems these guys aren't around in Australia but on that forum they talk as if they are fairly common.

Matt