It's a Geo !

lungy

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH see thats all i ever wanted !!!!

Finally a pic of a true FIRE FIN thanks mate laugh.gif

you da man lungy wub.gif

blink.gifwub.gif

hmmm .......

it looks like some kind of lungy .

i mean lungy's fish tongue.gif

is it possible u can get couple of shots on the tails? that way i will break ur heart tongue.gifwub.gif

go lungy go! go! go!

Guest Makka

Hi there quantaumstarr . This is no red mate ! This is more like the xingu

that gs-walker is talking about . and yes they are mouth brooders after the initial laying of eggs .

Makka.

Oh Gav, they look nothing alike huh.gifhuh.gif

Your fish have a more rounded head whereas Lungys has a pointier mouth to it and the scales/colours are all wrong and yours has a lot more red in it. Similar but different laugh.giflaugh.gif

I have no idea what Lungy has a pic of - it's nothing we have had here before ....... kinda looks like a 1/2 and 1/2 fish. Maybe sending some pics o'seas to the experts would be the go.

Guy, guys, guys -

For the millionth time:

THERE ARE NO GEOPHAGUS SURINAMENSIS IN AUSTRALIA.

We have never had them here, ever. G. surinamensis is the wrong name (like A. rivulatus for that matter) for the fish we have here (which are a ironically are multiple species ((none of which are surinamensis)) and their morphs).

biggrin.gif!

It looks like one the G. altifrons types Andy. Try sending a few pics and a nice request to Link2Hell for a proper ID.

Guest slugga

Hi i think we just have Brachy Branchis here but i'm not to sure

on that either , However it looks like a nice fish . Thanx

Steve0

I have one (used to have two sadsmiley02.gif ) One died when still small, sold to me as geophagus surinamensis .

Mine is about 5 inches now and really beautiful, didnt look like much before, had it for just over a year, very peaceful and pally with a large firemouth laugh.gif

Ok what is the correct ID for these guys then. I bought them as G. surinamensis (at 4cm) and have looked for pictures to help. They look more like G. surinamensis than G. brachybranchus to me unsure.gif .

Geophagus sp.

merjo

It is a pitty that the Geo's are a mess (sigh) good to slip down the rd and get some like in the America. Ow well we settle for fish that look like other fish and call them what they look like.

I would say look's more like an Altifon than a Suren' or B.B. But you never can tell.

Tim.

Hi all,

How can anyone be sure that certain fish are not present in the country. I have heard of instances where fish were brought directly into the country straight from the lakes etc.......no AQIS. It was common practice.

So, apart from those recorded imports, there are other species floating around. There must be some species that originated from fish(spawns) which entered the country prior to stricter quarantine regimes that are in place today (not including the illegal imports).

The picture that I posted of my Geophagus sp. looks exactly like G. surinamensis to me, although there is some resemblence to G. brachybranchus (ref. South American Eartheaters by Thomas Weidner, pp. 117 and 144).

So how can we be sure that G. surinamensis never entered the country? huh.gif

merjo

Archived