Water changes

Guest Panga

How often do you do a water change ?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Panga

Hi guyz & galz,

I do a regular water change every week. I have my fridays dedicated to do these water changes and maintance on my tanks.

I was just wondering how often everyone else does water changes on there tanks.

Cheers Troy biggrin.gif

Guest Gutty

I'd like to do them weekly, but between riding my moto and drinking i rarely have the time............. blush.gif

Nah, seriously, i do them every 2 weeks. Simply couldn't be bothered doing it every week.........except on my fry tank...it gets done weekly when it has fry in it.

IMO water changing is the biggest PITA about keeping fish........especially when you get into big tanks....

You need a vote box more than once a week and never.

I do my 38L twice and my 380L more than once if I pile a lot of food into it.

I should add, effort spent to make water changes effortless is time very well spent with bigger tanks. I use an 80L storage tub, heater, pump and a long bit of clear hose.

Guest Panga

You need a vote box more than once a week and never.

Sorry mianos. I didnt think of adding those but cant edit the poll now to add more options. Maybe a mod might be able to change it for us blush.gif

thx for your input everyone.

Cheers Troy biggrin.gif

Guest Gutty

I should add, effort spent to make water changes effortless is time very well spent with bigger tanks. I use an 80L storage tub, heater, pump and a long bit of clear hose.

This is the same way i do it.............it still sux though... ohmy.gif

Lucky it's a job that can be done one handed or it might not get done at all.....user posted image

Lucky it's a job that can be done one handed or it might not get done at all.....

It's nice to see you trying to make water changes more exciting, but please don't expand on what you're doing with the other hand while doing the water change.... laugh.gif

I added two more options for you Troy. If you want them to say something else let me know.

Personally, I change 600 litres every 3 or 4 days on my 3500 litre bank. I have three 200l drums with airstones that I fill, age, add buffer to and then syphon over about 12 hours by airline tube into the system. The sump has an overflow out into the garden for the excess. I don't heat the water, as I find the cool flush usually promotes spawning anyway (not that it would make much of a temp fluctuation in my system.)

I hate water changes, so this way, it's minimum maintenance. Seems to work ok. My nitrates are low and my fish are healthy. Having a new 7ft tower full of bioballs and coral pieces in my sump helps a bit too wink.gif

Guest Gutty
Lucky it's a job that can be done one handed or it might not get done at all.....

It's nice to see you trying to make water changes more exciting, but please don't expand on what you're doing with the other hand while doing the water change.... laugh.gif

Beer Andy.........it's all about the beer... laugh.gif

Guest Panga

Andy,

Thanks for changing the options thumbsupsmileyanim.gif and what you have put there is just fine biggrin.gif

I think we all hate doing the water changes but its a must if you want to keep your fish nice and healthy and breeding.

as I find the cool flush usually promotes spawning anyway

I think your dead right there Andy. I reckon the cool water does wonders for bringing them to spawn. Most my male fish go crazy chasing females just after the water changes.

I did have my spare 4 footer for storing water for water changes but now the tank has been used because i need the tank for fish. blush.gif

Gutty, that precious beer makes the job so much easier.

Cheers Troy biggrin.gif

Beer and water changes. That sounds like a nice relaxing Sunday.

Although I do my water changes before 10AM (which as we well know is well before beer o'clock)

I generally spend a half day doing a few water changes, and pulling holding females into fry traps etc. I have about 1500 litres to play with at present.

hi guys

just plonked a vote on more than once a week. i run 3 drums [200ltr] of conditioned, tap water.the night before i need it, i make whatever adjustments are needed[gh,kh,ph] set the airstone and pump going to circulate the water in the drum, i also use a heater in winter to lift the temp to <> of tank temp. as i run 3 different water paremeters, i'm easy to find at night. you guest right. what a hobby, what else would ya be doin'? anyway it keeps me off the streets and out of trouble. cheers all; colfish.

Hi Andy,

Sounds like quite a setup. I assume your airline drip system is gravity fed? If that's the case I'm picturing a very high roof wherever your bank is located

Do you have any pic's you'd be willing to share?

Cheers

Richard

Hey Richard.

I'll get around to photos soon. I've only just set the system back up again after ripping all the insulation from the roof and starting over. I now have an extra 4 ft or so of height.

I have the 3 drums up on a table a metre off the ground and they gravity feed very slowly into my sump. The water then gets cycled through the system and the excess overflows outside.

I made myself a 7ft high tower from hobby boxes approx 250mm square and filled it with bioballs or coral pieces and the tower sits in the sump. The holes are covered with lexcen and silicone. The tanks empty into the tower, trickle down into the mini reef sump and then back up into the system. The minireef also has a big layer of bioballs in it for the lower tanks that can't empty directly into the tower.

I'm running 3 pumps in the sump. An 8500lph, a 4200lph and a 3000lph. They all lose a bit of flow because of the head height, but I'd say I've still got probably 12000lph running through the system.

I'm hesitant to take pics yet because I still haven't cleaned up all the mess from when I was renovating. Getting the bank set up again was priority.

Here are a couple I took as soon as the system had fish in it again. Excuse the mess around the tanks.

The bank consists of:

2 of 6x2x18 - Dimis and foai

4 of 4x2x18 - demasoni, cobwe, multipunctatus, acei, maingano, kandeensis, calvus

2 of 4x2x14 - maswa duboisi

1 of 4x20x16 - msobo fry, phenochilus fry

1 of 4x20x14 - acei fry, cobwe fry

1 of 4x18x10 - flavus fry, petro. chitimba fry, bristlenose fry

1 of 4x14x8 - peppermints, apple snails

1 of 3x18x16 - Bristlenose

I'm intending to add three more 6x18x18 tanks shortly.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Archived