Jags and GT's

Teamsherman

Ive got my new 48in x 20in x 14in tank and i want it to have some badboy americans in. I am curious to know if i can keep Jags and GT's together so they can grow up in the tank without any ruffhousing going on. I really like both fish so i thought i will just put both in as juveniles and they should grow to tolerate each other. Is this true?

Cheers, Alan. cool.gif

I agree with kevkoi. I think a jag in that size tank will not tolerate tankmates, regardless of any childhood friendships it develops.

If you want a tankmate for a GT in that tank I would be looking at another GT (ie. a partner)

or perhaps severum, jack dempsey, convict, an oscar might work? Naturally when dealing with big boys, individual attitude is a major factor.

Edit: how many jags?

long term: 1

Guest Gutty

The Jags will outgrow the Gts pretty quickly. They are very fast growers.

Check that Jag pic thread i posted, see what happened in PGRs tank.

It's also the reason i have to get rid of my Gts eventually.

My Jags and GTs get on fine now....while they are small. But i have doubts about the future.

Lata

Matt

Check this thread for other opinions on Jag tank mates.

Guest Gutty

Ok, so how many jags could i keep in the tank safely and comfortably?

1 or 2..........until they are about 3/4 grown....... blush.gif

Maybe set it up a an African breeder tank........you can feed the babies to your Devil/devils..... biggrin.gif

Yep, i think thats the go Gutty, plus i need some bright coloured fish in my house

and im sure a couple of electric blues and yellows for a red devil would be like us having lunch at Doyles or Jordans as opposed to the local fish'n'chips. LOL

Cheers, Alan.

P.s, Marble chips usually go for how much per kilo? <---bit of a red herring but i thought someone would know.

You might have a problem in that size tank but in a larger tank ( say 6x2x2) I have kept and still keep mature jaguars and medium to largeish green terrors together without any problems. The jag occupies the bottom half of the tank and the terrors swim in the top half of the tank and generally avoid each other.There is also a mature cuban cichlid in the same tank - again, no problems.

Nick

ive had a jag a gt a red dev a convict, red jewel and a synsphillum... all do fine cept the dev ate the gt sad.gif however the jewels doing surprisingly well. the guy at my LFS told me not to put it in with the jag that i bought the same day.... and hes lasting well, him and the convict get in quite well.

ummm... hey all i dont know much about anything but tangs and i was just wondering what is a GT? im a fisherman as much as im a fishkeeper and i only know GT as in Giant Trevally, obviously this is stupid because itz a saltwayer and a jag is not and itz huge too. so can anyone enlighten me? biggrin.gif

Cheers wink.gif

Archived