24 hour power cut and am away on business

cpfc

I live in a rental with a landlord who does not give an f. Roof leaked onto the powerboard which blew. This was fixed in 24 hours. The Mrs did a good job and insulated the tanks with blankets and I got her to add prime and stability to combat ammonia. Power came back (after roof and powerboard replacement). Fish seem to have survived. I am away on business and utterly frustrated as I do not know how the water suffered let alone be able to do a water change. We'll see what disaster I return to.

Seems like you need to talk to the rental board about your landlord.

You do have rights.

You would be amazed how the water can drop slowly and not bother the fish. Same as on a hot day your tanks can be way above what your temp is set to but as long as its slowly up and slowly down its fine, within reason. Lack od co2 is the problem, battery air pump will help but not if your away.

We will be screwing the landlord over on leaving. We just need a ref to move on. I guess you mean lack of O2. The wife covered the tank well, temp went down to 22, the fish were not fed and on testing I have a bit of ammonia. Nothing a good change tomorrow will not sort out but no new fish in there on the weekend. Prime and Stability have held it together. Just need to keep monitoring for a week.

Seems like you need to talk to the rental board about your landlord.

You do have rights.

You would be amazed how the water can drop slowly and not bother the fish. Same as on a hot day your tanks can be way above what your temp is set to but as long as its slowly up and slowly down its fine, within reason. Lack od co2 is the problem, battery air pump will help but not if your away.

It is easy to see why so many landlords have clauses in their rental agreements that prohibit tenants from keeping pets.... <_<

The bacteria in your filter may have died. Then when the power comes back on crap gets pumped into your tanks. Buy some battery powered airpumps so if it happens again you can at least keep sponge filters going.

Aauaholic ? I dont understand how the bacteria in the tank / filter would have died?

Trouble is mate you wont get your ref untill you have left. Better think that again.

Some stuff I have read is that the lack of flow of oxygenated, ammonia containing and nitrite containing water starves the bacteria of what they need to live. I have read various opinions on how quickly they die. Yep we will not get ref until we have left. Thats when FIRB get informed and there are other options.

Aauaholic ? I dont understand how the bacteria in the tank / filter would have died?

Trouble is mate you wont get your ref untill you have left. Better think that again.

turn your filter off for 24 hrs and see what happens. Anyone remember the June long weekend a couple of years back, some people lost power for 2 - 3 days (me included). There were lost of losses of fish. I didnt lose any and I'm running 18 separate tanks all on canister filters. I ran sponges in all tanks, some on battery powered air pumps and some on a car battery with an inverter. I pulled the media out of the filters and put it in a tank with aeration. Apart from buying a generator any one have a better idea?

There could be power failures tomorrow with the cyclone about to hit Sydney.

biofiltration bacteria require

1. A surface upon which to attach,

2. ammonia for food, and

3. oxygen-rich water.

Tank insulation and minimal feeding is the only other idea.

40l out of 215l water change today.

this evening

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 20

I will do another water change tomorrow. Petricolas are swimming up to the top corner repetitively. Not sure if that is just species behaviour or something else.

turn your filter off for 24 hrs and see what happens. Anyone remember the June long weekend a couple of years back, some people lost power for 2 - 3 days (me included). There were lost of losses of fish. I didnt lose any and I'm running 18 separate tanks all on canister filters. I ran sponges in all tanks, some on battery powered air pumps and some on a car battery with an inverter. I pulled the media out of the filters and put it in a tank with aeration. Apart from buying a generator any one have a better idea?

There could be power failures tomorrow with the cyclone about to hit Sydney.

Archived