regarding Cyprichromis leptosoma malasa

LithoMan

Hi All

If I have these fish with gold occi's will the gold occi's eat the fry once they are spat out in tank ?

Or do I need a tank just for the Cyprichromis leptosoma.. cause I have run out of tanks and a couple of mouthfuls of these fish .. can you strip them like other fish or put them in a fry saver net till she spits them out ?

Any suggestions will be great......

thanks

P.S at the moment they are in with gold comps and 100% the comps will eat the fry :( so I am thinking of changing tanks for them..

Hi All

If I have these fish with gold occi's will the gold occi's eat the fry once they are spat out in tank ?

Or do I need a tank just for the Cyprichromis leptosoma.. cause I have run out of tanks and a couple of mouthfuls of these fish .. can you strip them like other fish or put them in a fry saver net till she spits them out ?

Any suggestions will be great......

thanks

P.S at the moment they are in with gold comps and 100% the comps will eat the fry :( so I am thinking of changing tanks for them..

Gday

The Occi's will most likely eat the malasa fry , you can strip but i wouldnt recomend it you better of putting the female in a fry saver till she spits the fry then return the female back to tank .

Cheers

Zigzagfish

Ive found that isolated females are reluctant to release their fry,one of my females went way over and the fry were emaciated and died,the female following a week or so later.So I use the species tank method.

Cyp fry are really big and tend to congregate at the top of the tank and Occies are aggro but not particularly predatory,it might work esp if you have a large and high tank,as may the fry saver for you.May need some trial and error.

All I can say i the species tank methods has ben very successful for me

Edited by killiguy

Should be ok with the occi's, As said would need to be lg container as they are a free swimmer and panic/stress in small area. You should be able to leave them like your others and strip them. As said fry are large.

I have kept them with multifasciatus.

Made an excellent combo as neither species are known for fry predation so I just left them all to do their thing. It was an awsome sight seeing an array of different size youngsters along side their parents and the multies covered the bottom section while the cyps kept mostly to the mid-top level water so their was never any aggresion.

I also really enjoyed watching this tank more so then any other in my collection. The Multies digging new territories all the time and the weird spawning ritual of the Leptos made it one of my most enjoyable times in the hobby. You really have to see it yourself to understand but it was an awsome combo IMHO (thinking about it now I want to start another display tank lol)

Just tried to upload some pics but have forgotten my details on photobucket

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I just dribbled on about crap that had nothing to do with the topic LOL

Edited by cyber_crimes