Big Tanks

malawi4me

Hi all

Just moved back to the south coast (Shoalhaven) NSW and looking at setting up a big tank around tax time. I want something about 8 ft long 2foot wide and 2.5ft high. I am struggling to find on line tank prices other than the aqua one packages...

Got a quote from South Nowra today for $1385 for the above dimensions... Just wondering is this a good price? does anyone know of a store that does really good prices? thanks in advance and the above quote is tank only.

Cheers Rob.

Try St George aquariums in Rockdale, not really south coast but worth making the call. . Their tanks are very good and they are reliable. They've been doing it for a long time.

Cheers grant

look mate its a very long way but manly aquarium in manly northern beaches they also have good prices on tanks i dont no about that size but a 4ft was very good, i got mine from st george and love it cheap and great

Hey Rob.

Welcome back

Big tanks down here always cost a bomb. Try the shop at Warrawong. Most be skin you for a big tank or maybe The aquarium and pet warehouse in the Rail.

Josh

Hi all

Just moved back to the south coast (Shoalhaven) NSW and looking at setting up a big tank around tax time. I want something about 8 ft long 2foot wide and 2.5ft high. I am struggling to find on line tank prices other than the aqua one packages...

Got a quote from South Nowra today for $1385 for the above dimensions... Just wondering is this a good price? does anyone know of a store that does really good prices? thanks in advance and the above quote is tank only.

Cheers Rob.

Are you kidding???

Thats a great price.

How thick is the base and other glass.

Sounds dirt cheap so far.

Hi all

Thanks for the pm's and replies!

Josh Gday! been a while mate.

The oridginal quote was from AQ & Pet WHouse....

Citypainter...Im not kidding :no:

Have a new quote of more than $400 cheaper for the same tank dimensions.... Pays to ask and shop around!.

• 2 weeks later...

Try Fishbowl Aquarium at Princes Hwy, Carlton. Ken supplied me with a 5x2x2 which was extremely cheap and has great build quality. A similar sized tank was materially more expensive at Warrawong LFS.

Cheers

Try Fishbowl Aquarium at Princes Hwy, Carlton. Ken supplied me with a 5x2x2 which was extremely cheap and has great build quality. A similar sized tank was materially more expensive at Warrawong LFS.

Cheers

Hi all

Cheers Rob.

Are you kidding???

Thats a great price.

How thick is the base and other glass.

Sounds dirt cheap so far.

The MOST important parameter, as Dave has indicated, is glass thickness. You are mentioning tank dimensions (LxBxH) and prices, but what affects prices the most is the thickness of the glass. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for, and you will be better paying more for thicker glass (Dependant on what the glass thickness is).

I concur with Craig on glass thickness. When sorting out what glass to use on my big tnak (6x4x2.5) I was tempted to go the minimum width but went one grade up for safety. in my case it cost me nearly $1000 more, but I do feel that it was necessary. big tanks mean big costs and its crazy to risk having a tank shatter with someone around it as realistically tanks this size will kill if they do have a fault and break. for mine, safety is key and its always worth a step up in grade over what is the minimum thickness required.

hi mate, i got a quote for a 8x2.5x2.5 about a month ago from abyss aquariums in campbelltown.

12mm glass all round was $1200

if its 12mm all round and 15mm base its $1850

wiers are $35each

i have a 6Lx3hx2d that this guy made for me a few years back and it was very well made.

also depends what fish you want to keep, if you looking at monster fish then you want thicker glass incase they bash against it all the time(which they will).if you were going to be keeping some large tank busters then you would want to get something thicker for safety.

hope that helps

cheers

pete

hi mate, i got a quote for a 8x2.5x2.5 about a month ago from abyss aquariums in campbelltown.

12mm glass all round was $1200

if its 12mm all round and 15mm base its $1850

wiers are $35each

i have a 6Lx3hx2d that this guy made for me a few years back and it was very well made.

also depends what fish you want to keep, if you looking at monster fish then you want thicker glass incase they bash against it all the time(which they will).if you were going to be keeping some large tank busters then you would want to get something thicker for safety.

hope that helps

cheers

pete

Gav is spot on in his comments.

The knocks to the glass you have to worry about are from the OUTSIDE. If you've got big fish, that's another matter, and the points you raise are valid. For the tank size you mention, the glass thickness is the minimum. These tanks are, lets face it, made of glass, an easily broken material. When tanks get big, a parting bridge on a smaller tank is a hassle, but on a big tank = a night spent at relatives and a call to the insurance company. If it happens to break when somebody is near, it's a trip to the hospital, as past threads have shown with photos. If you are really unlucky...

I had my 2'6" high tank made from 15 mm glass and my big tank that's 1100 mm high made from 19 mm glass.

The aquarium manufacture you mention has made some nightmare jobs for people on ACE.

I think you could mention any tank builders on here and someone would have a nightmare story about them.

If money is an issue, why not be patient and wait for a large 2nd hand tank to become available, tanks are better than cars because like cars, as soon as you use them they are worth 25% less but the bonus with tanks is they are often sold with a heap of accessories. :thumbup:

Ross

I think you could mention any tank builders on here and someone would have a nightmare story about them.

There is truth in this but this one stands out for those who know. Personally, the worst experience I have had with an industry that itself can be pretty unprofessional at times.

Archived