Help with aquasonic rift lake conditioner and dosage

tangka

hi guys

I bought this product today for my tropheus tank. i have also bought a API test kit. I've taken a test before I've put in the conditioner and the results according to my eye sight were

GH 120

KH 40

PH BETWEEN 7 AND 7.5

NO2 0

NO3 20

Now i know these water parameters arn't right for them and on the tub it says 1 teaspoon treats 7litres.

i'v added 1 table spoon 10mins ago into the tank and this is the current reading

GH 180

KH 120

PH 7.5

NO2 0

NO3 20

im guessing it takes longer then 10mins to show a accurate reading?

The tank dimensions are 5x18x18

can someone please advise me how many teaspoon/tablespoons are required for my size tank and how many in future 25% weekly water changes are needed. Also i would think i would need to raise the water parameters gradually over time to ideal conditions as to not shock the fish??

also what water parameters are people using on their tropheus tanks?

cheers

dan

Retest after 24 hours. I wouldnt have thought that one tablespoon would have made that much difference.

Before you can work out how much to add per water change you will need to know how much it takes to get the water to the levels you require.

I always found it takes a bit of guess work, but once you get it right, its pretty easy to maintain.

Josh

ok ill retest tomorrow night, i didnt want to put alot in incase of a overdose.

correct me if im wrong but doesn't this product raise ph,kh and gh? is this the only product i would need to obtain correct tropheus water parameters or will i have to use this product in conjuction with other products?

It takes a bit of trialand error to get the parameters right, but as stated it is easy to maintain once the dosage is figured out. I find that it raises my gh well, keeps my ph where I need it but doesn't do much/anything to my kh. I use bicarb soda to get my kh where I need it. So for my parameters to be correct, I add 1 teaspoon aquasonic, 1/2 teaspoon bicarb and also prime per 10 liters. It will most likely be differnt for you.

KH generator is better than bicarb soda, it can raise the KH higher and would probably need less. I use Aquasonic's KH generator, but Seachem make a good one too.

Tangka, you need to work out the volume of your tank, unless I missed it, I didn't see anyone or yourself mention this;

LxBxH(in cm) /1000 = volume

Then divide by 7 to get the number of spoons required

Probably best to start with a half dose to see what happens to the water if you are putting directly into the tank.

The best way to do water changes is to pre prepare the water in a separate container. Work out the doses needed in this then add once it's all ready.

Edited by CThompson

thanks craig

so its 155x45x45 divideds by 1000 = 313litres so basically 300litres.

300 divided by 7 = 42 table spoons!!

how slowly should i raise the water parameters without upsetting the fish??

currently

GH 10

KH 10

PH 7.5

the mg/L were divided by 17.9 as i was told

ideally i would like to achieve

GH 16-18

KH of 12-14

PH 8.4-8.6

dan

I would work out your spoon numbers from the full 313L as that's two spoons you missed out.

Add the correct doses according to what you take out with a water change. So if you take out a third of the water, work out the volume of the 1/3 high tank, and as the weeks go by the tank's parameters will rise slowly.

For 10L of rain water that has 0KH and 0GH.

It takes me half a teaspoon of KH generator and 1 teaspoon of Rift Lake salt Conditioner to get the 10L at 10KH and 20 GH.

So if I change 80L of water, I multiply the dose by 8.