WARNING

MelbBill

A post on Boronia Aquarium forum by Jerome this morning - please everyone keep your eyes open:

"Guys, we read it before but we think those kind of stuff only happen to others but I've been rob last night. There are unfortunately some very nasty people on this forum. Be very careful with who you bring at your place , I'll recommend you deal at a choosen spot rather specially if you are keeping some valuable species, what I saw this morning was a result of trusting too many people. All this time and effort for nothing, my breeding pairs of green horse face, colony of abn, colony common lfb, colony of lf abn, colony of red horseface, all gone over $2000 worth of fish, feel really devastated. So I'm telling you once again BE VERY CAREFUL!"

Really, you just think what has it come to when people are stealing fish from people.

Cant be safe with anything.

Cheers Mark~

I remember a few years ago a young guy in Sydney (I think) was arrested for a string of armed robberies....he was stealing to fund his expanding fish collection...I kid you not

Mike

A post on Boronia Aquarium forum by Jerome this morning - please everyone keep your eyes open:

"Guys, we read it before but we think those kind of stuff only happen to others but I've been rob last night. There are unfortunately some very nasty people on this forum. Be very careful with who you bring at your place , I'll recommend you deal at a choosen spot rather specially if you are keeping some valuable species, what I saw this morning was a result of trusting too many people. All this time and effort for nothing, my breeding pairs of green horse face, colony of abn, colony common lfb, colony of lf abn, colony of red horseface, all gone over $2000 worth of fish, feel really devastated. So I'm telling you once again BE VERY CAREFUL!"

Sounds pretty bad.

It's terrible getting broken into and robbed.

You say that there are some nasty people on this forum.

I am sure its possible but do you think you were robbed as a direct result of showing your fish on this forum?

I agree, its best to deal with strangers away from your home or at least outside the home.

In saying that I have only had the pleasure of dealing with good people so far.

Maybe we need to rate people here for sales like E-bay does.

how will you know if someones planning to rob u tho? if i was gonna rob someone i would come over all smiles and buy some thing or another while making careful note of where everything is and how to get in and out quickly. you would probably think i was a great guy... and never even know who robbed you

It's a terrible thing for sure. Thievery such as this goes on in almost every hobby. I have heard of this in the aquarium hobby many times, and also in the herpetological circles.

Unfortunately, rating sellers/buyers like ebay does will only assist people at point of sale. It is very hard to judge the character of someone who will befriend you only to "case the joint" for burglary. Similar to what happened recently through Facebook (RIP Nona), people may present innocently enough, but may turn out to be monsters.

I would like to think that no one in our forum community is like that. I've been a member of this forum since its inception and I am proud to say that I haven't come across anything like that which could be directly linked back to someone here. Still, we should all be cautious in any situation that involves someone we don't know coming to our homes.

Greed can work frightening deeds through usually normal people.

I strongly recommend the victim provides the names and details of every aquarium hobbyist that's visited them to the police. People like that are pretty easy to find - you can't skip town too quickly with a 4 x 2 x 2 under each arm! lol

Sounds pretty bad.

It's terrible getting broken into and robbed.

You say that there are some nasty people on this forum.

I am sure its possible but do you think you were robbed as a direct result of showing your fish on this forum?

I agree, its best to deal with strangers away from your home or at least outside the home.

In saying that I have only had the pleasure of dealing with good people so far.

Maybe we need to rate people here for sales like E-bay does.

Dave, I think he means nasty people on the Boronia Aquarium forum.

A post on Boronia Aquarium forum by Jerome this morning

how will you know if someones planning to rob u tho? if i was gonna rob someone i would come over all smiles and buy some thing or another while making careful note of where everything is and how to get in and out quickly. you would probably think i was a great guy... and never even know who robbed you

Tranced - Remind me never to sell you anything! :lol1:

Not the first time this has happened? Seems this is No 3 robbery in your area that I know of. :confused:

Didnot the last bloke a couple of years back that stole fish got caught and was a mate of the owner ??.

Hey John ,,, I'm rethinking that I might not invite you over to look at the fish I got from you???? You seemed a nice guy,, but on reading I'm not sure,,, lol mate.

Got to say I've met a lot of good people on here. :raisehand:

Without disrespecting the victim but those are pretty ordinary fish to be making a big theft on. Ordinary meaning the fish are pretty common.. hope the buggers get caught sooner than later..

I keep the name and phone number of EVERYONE who comes here...its pretty easy to do

Mike :)

wow! really? but how do you directly know which one would of robbed me?.. say you have 100-500 names written

i know of people that have only 1-2 tanks full of the fish they sell -eg. in the garage

all the other fish tanks are not shown, which are located somewhere else - which are never seen buy buyers.

if your collection of fish is worth alot, i would think of getting some sort of sercurity. even the presence of a big dog might be enough.

I keep the name and phone number of EVERYONE who comes here...its pretty easy to do

Mike :)

wow! really? but how do you directly know which one would of robbed me?.. say you have 100-500 names written

i know of people that have only 1-2 tanks full of the fish they sell -eg. in the garage

all the other fish tanks are not shown, which are located somewhere else - which are never seen buy buyers.

if your collection of fish is worth alot, i would think of getting some sort of sercurity. even the presence of a big dog might be enough.

Hi Antz

Ive got a spread sheet with names, dates , phone numbers etc...its a starting point if something happens...fortunaletly I dont think my stuff would be worth stealing but I do have a dog, a lock and a burglar alarm :) ...oh and neighbours who take an interest in whats happening on the street (I do live out in the country after all, not like you city slickers) :)

Mike

mate that sucks sorry to hear about that !

its not even about the money its more the fact that it might of taken you 2-3 years to get that collection of fish and the feeling of not being able to protect your own!

someone bought it up before that about a year ago this happened and it was the persons close friend !! sorry to say but start looking there first .

like i said to the other person it would of taken some time to catch all the fish i strugle to catch a fish little lone 4-5 colonies

they had to know when you were leaveing and comming back !

Hey, how did you go, catch these robbers? :angry:

Hope so.

Foti your right its the 2/3/4 years to grow them to breeding size thats the pains taking part. :cryblow:

I have my room locked up, but if someone wanted to get in there is always a way.

You would be surprised how fast some people can catch fish, And all these are not fast movers and after lights out its easy to catch fish fast.

Archived