N. Brevis Male acting strange - sick ?

intern1

Hi,

I got a N. Brevis male who has been acting fairly strange the last week and a half.

Behavior - at first he was sitting next his shell and not swimming around much. After that i noticed him swimming to areas and hiding i.e behind the filter or in the corner grove of the tank middle to upper water column. The last 2 days during this weekend i didn't see him at all and now he has re appeared on the other side of the tank sitting in the corner. During this period i have noticed him breathing heavy and acting weak. I haven't noticed him eat during this period although his belly isnt sunken at all or no bloat is present that i can see.

Coloration - Brevis when you see them are nice light creamy white coloration (not sure how to describe the color) but when i see the male its like when you turn on the light or shine a torch and the fish is sleeping. You notice dark coloration blotches on him.

There has been no change in pH or any chemistry since this has occurred. A water change is normally done in this tank once every 1-2 weeks. In the tank there is another brevis the female and a small colony of 6 4-5cm comp mbita shell dwellers as well. They have been getting along well since they have been together.

Does anyone know what the problem could be????

Sorry to hear about your Brevis.

How you got a lot of extra shells in the tank? Could it be that the female's kicked it out of the shell and now there's no other shell for it to occupy because the comps have taken over?

My brevis have a pair of shells next to each other and the male spends a lot of time in the same shell as the female, but also time in his own shell alone. This behaviour occurs even when the female has fry in the shell. Also, at other times the male does go off exploring the tank, but always returns within a day or two.

Also, I was once selling Brevis fry to a buyer who "never showed up" three times. On the last occassion I transported the fry a distance and when I returned home one of the fry was breathing heavily. It kept like this for months - still eating and everything, but breathing heavily. It died a couple of months later. I hope you're hasn't develped this condition.

Glenn

Hi,

I got a N. Brevis male who has been acting fairly strange the last week and a half.

Behavior - at first he was sitting next his shell and not swimming around much. After that i noticed him swimming to areas and hiding i.e behind the filter or in the corner grove of the tank middle to upper water column. The last 2 days during this weekend i didn't see him at all and now he has re appeared on the other side of the tank sitting in the corner. During this period i have noticed him breathing heavy and acting weak. I haven't noticed him eat during this period although his belly isnt sunken at all or no bloat is present that i can see.

Coloration - Brevis when you see them are nice light creamy white coloration (not sure how to describe the color) but when i see the male its like when you turn on the light or shine a torch and the fish is sleeping. You notice dark coloration blotches on him.

There has been no change in pH or any chemistry since this has occurred. A water change is normally done in this tank once every 1-2 weeks. In the tank there is another brevis the female and a small colony of 6 4-5cm comp mbita shell dwellers as well. They have been getting along well since they have been together.

Does anyone know what the problem could be????

Archived