Multies

tropifish

I have a pair of multies and no joke, they dig and dig whole day !!! I wouldn't mind if it's small decoration that they make but we are talking about big renovation in the tank, I wake up with all sand moved to one side of the tank, and my decos collapsed twice cuz of it. I re-arranged, they dig....I re-arranged, they dig !!!!

Is there a way to stop this? cuz it's really annoying.....

Thanks guys.

I have a pair of multies and no joke, they dig and dig whole day !!! I wouldn't mind if it's small decoration that they make but we are talking about big renovation in the tank, I wake up with all sand moved to one side of the tank, and my decos collapsed twice cuz of it. I re-arranged, they dig....I re-arranged, they dig !!!!

Is there a way to stop this? cuz it's really annoying.....

Thanks guys.

only way to stop this is having no substrate... They're making a home. or to save your decorations make sure their on the bottom of the tank and that way the multis can't affect your ornaments.

that's one of the things i like about my colony. It's like a little war to see who can excavate the most another of sand from their own shell and dump it on another pairs home. It is amazing how much they can move!

Bruce

HI

my colony i moved them to a tank that the gravel is twice the size of there mouth and still ........they move the tank gravel around .........

a lot of fun to watch............... i think they invented the pyramid..

Well that's what Mulities and other shellies do! They move the sand around to suit them. IF you really want to keep them, put your ornaments etc on egg-crate or the bare glass and then put the sand in. That way, your ornaments are not sitting on the sand! I generally setup my tank with the rock etc first and then put the substrate in. When using heavy rocks, I used the egg-crate/light diffuser as the barrier/buffer. Only problem is a lot of waste get trapped inbetween the squares and need close attention from time to time. That's my experience.

Do you have a photo of your setup?

:thumb

Thanks guys. I guess it is something I have to live with then. Probably will have to move the ornaments down to the bottom.

It's fun to watch them but hmm....to an extend !! :)

It's not something to "have to live with". It is a large part of the reason to keep these fish :yes:

When keeping cichlids, it is standard practice to have ALL objects resting on the tank bottom :thumb

Archived