breeding Neon Rams

killiguy

Im just wondering what the experience is breeding these beautiful fish.

I purchased 4 just a few weeks ago put them in a 10 gallon tank: Water soft with pH6.3 temp 82.Two fish paired off and quickly murdered the other two(rather unram like!!)

After laying the male took over egg fanning duties(also unram like)and chased away the female

Just before hatching I pinched the eggs for artificial hatching.The eggs look very small as Ram eggs do.

Do these normally do things abit different??Only one spawning I know

Interested in others experience

Doug

Im just wondering what the experience is breeding these beautiful fish.

I purchased 4 just a few weeks ago put them in a 10 gallon tank: Water soft with pH6.3 temp 82.Two fish paired off and quickly murdered the other two(rather unram like!!)

After laying the male took over egg fanning duties(also unram like)and chased away the female

Just before hatching I pinched the eggs for artificial hatching.The eggs look very small as Ram eggs do.

Do these normally do things abit different??Only one spawning I know

Interested in others experience

Doug

I have heard of other spawnings - but I would debate whether any of the behaviour you describe is unramlike.

The tank is too small IMO for four rams - so the pair hounded the others to death is not surprising.

Also it is normal for the males to be better parents and see of the female - I actually prefer to remove the female after spawning.

The accounts I have heard do talk about smaller eggs - and I imagine the feeding of small fry will be quite a challange. Good luck with them. I would try microworms myself bu you may need something smaller.

I haven't kept the neon rams myself - I'm not a fan.

HTH

Steve

Ive been breeding Rams for years and havent had your experiences,but cichlids are like that.

Ive found the females very protective and although I prefer Rams in 3-4ft tanks Ive had them in 2fts and they havent killed their co-occupants just herded them into a corner.These "Neons" are presumably hundreds of generations from the wild and alot of their innate behaviour will be modified

Archived