Cheap Canisters

Somethingfishy

I cant comment on the quality of the filters but UV will only kill off algae in the water column (ie green water)..it wont do anything for algae growing on glass, rocks, plants, substrate etc.

Mike

well i set it up today and so far i must say im impressed . I have a 6 x 2 x 3 running a FX5 and i have a 4ft with a internal filter. The canister i purchased was to replace the internal on the 4ft tank.

After 1 hour of placing the canister on the tank and removing the internal all i can say is WOW. The tank now is not only a heap clearer but it has absolutely NO SOUND. the canister came full with media so it will be good once some bacteria builds up in it.

I must say if all goes well i will be looking at buying the 2000lph model to replace my FX5 on my 6ft. the flow on the 1400lph is incredible i thought being a cheap canister it would have a small amount of flow even though it stated 1400lh you can never really rely on it.

I guess now all i can do is wait and see how long it lasts. tomorrow i will give the tank glass a good clean and will see if the UV helps keeping the algae under control

I don't know if it will last very long, it may! From experience, I would say it wont last, But that is the nature of the cheaper stuff, you never really know

Josh

I hope it lasts for you mate, I will only be buying eheim canisters in the future, but that's from my own experiences with the cheap brands.

so far so good

However i just noticed on ebay the price has just gone up?? not sure why i got mine for $110 but now they are nearly $130?

I still think its a good buy i will know in a month ifthe UV has helped with the algae. I gave my glass a good clean with the magic white sponges (aren't they just the best thing for removing algae) my tank looks the clearest it ever has, but again time will tell.

so far so good

However i just noticed on ebay the price has just gone up?? not sure why i got mine for $110 but now they are nearly $130?

I still think its a good buy i will know in a month ifthe UV has helped with the algae. I gave my glass a good clean with the magic white sponges (aren't they just the best thing for removing algae) my tank looks the clearest it ever has, but again time will tell.

I have one of those cheapos on my 3' - without the UV though.

Still going quite well after almost 2 years - not great though, the spindle thingo has started to make a little bit of noise.

Don't bother trying to read the instructions (not that you have to), but the chinglish is terribad.

i will know in a month ifthe UV has helped with the algae.

I can guarantee the UV wont do anything for hard surface loving algae (ie any algae that clings to a surface)...it only works well for green water (ie water column) algae

Mike :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived