Cost of Fish food $60 a kilo!

gianniz

Sorry I just have too much time and was wondering what human food costs that much???

what other animal food costs that much???

not even lobsters costs that much and definitely I don't know any process food that costs that much!

Think about dog/cat food. The finest of these food should match the quality of high quality fish food yet it doesn't cost as nearly as much.

Yes these fish food last longer but shouldn't make the cost higher as it surely doesn't cost that much to make it!

The only thing I can think of... well they are taking us for a ride and we are letting them!

PS. I have tried all sorts of food including the New Lie S (name masquerade to protect forum) and honestly, my fish don't eat them. Funny thing is the fish food I bought from NSWCS is the favourite for all my fish (and very economical too).

PPS. This isn't a thread to compare which is better as I am sure N L something has higher nutri value and better for the fish.

Work out what you are paying for your fish per kilo. That will shock you. For example a 4 cm electric yellow retail is, say, $15. What would that fish weigh?, maybe 50 grams? That's $300 a kilo!, food seems cheap now.

I dont know why it cost so much. I guess that the price of manufacturing, packaging and shipping, remember its not made in such large quantities like food for human consumption is.

Work out what you are paying for your fish per kilo. That will shock you. For example a 4 cm electric yellow retail is, say, $15. What would that fish weigh?, maybe 50 grams? That's $300 a kilo!, food seems cheap now.

I dont know why it cost so much. I guess that the price of manufacturing, packaging and shipping, remember its not made in such large quantities like food for human consumption is.

Haha I've never thought of weighing up fish like that! Would be a pricey feed!

Haha I've never thought of weighing up fish like that! Would be a pricey feed!

I'd say it's because fish food + fish (ornamental) would be a relatively small market compared to dog/cat food or human food.

Supply and demand etc. both on the small side, so need large margins to make the $$

I have also noted a willingness for ornamental fish owners to pay top $ for something perceived to be the highest quality. Whether it is or not is something that is often debated. This goes beyond food. Make it safe for fish and you can take something that costs less than a dollar to make in China and stick a $10 sticker on it in the LFS.

Sorry I just have too much time and was wondering what human food costs that much???

Those "Birdnest" that they sell in asian restaurants go pretty expensive.

And some "Caviar" is selling for $1000.00 or so a kilo.

For a $15.00 electric yellow most of us could feed a family of 4 for a night.

In Thailand it would feed afamily of 4 for a week.

and in vietnam maybe 2 weeks.

still $60 feeds my fish for about 3 months. wish i could say the same as my food bill:( expensive yes, value for money maybe. though i have heard of fish living on corn flakes :S

Do you feed your fish Beluga or Sevruga?;)

Its prob just supply and demand as above.

I've tried most foods and my breeders do as well in all ways on $8 / kilo e-bay food from QLD as they do on any expensive name brand food.

To make things worse I set up a tank for the mother in law and gave her some nice fry. She ignored my feeding advice and bought home brand tropical flake from woolies. Her fish look better than most display fish i've seen including mine? :confused:

cHEERS cOUCHY

Its prob just supply and demand as above.

I've tried most foods and my breeders do as well in all ways on $8 / kilo e-bay food from QLD as they do on any expensive name brand food.

To make things worse I set up a tank for the mother in law and gave her some nice fry. She ignored my feeding advice and bought home brand tropical flake from woolies. Her fish look better than most display fish i've seen including mine? :confused:

cHEERS cOUCHY

WoW that just showed all of us not just u ay ? Has got me thinking it might be good to turn it about switch from time to time but I know that most my fish that have been razed on nls will not really feast on anything but nls ! So I'm guessing maybenls shOuld just be a treat ?

Just rememberEd is If I feed my dog a cheap feed yes he will faten up n he will still look healthy n everything but!

But! Energy less. Poo more much more !

So kinda guessing the same for fish ? Feed them cheap more labour for you keeping nitrate amonia down !

Maybe not ? Just my thought on this matter

If you think about stuff like this too much you'll end up at home looking at the walls and doing nothing (tv use too much electricity - better not watch it). Can't take your money with you so blow it all before you go!

I'm off to have a truffle and foie gras sandwich for lunch.

Do you feed your fish Beluga or Sevruga?;)

Read Gianaz first line

Yes these fish food last longer but shouldn't make the cost higher as it surely doesn't cost that much to make it!

The only thing I can think of... well they are taking us for a ride and we are letting them!

PS. I have tried all sorts of food including the New Lie S (name masquerade to protect forum) and honestly, my fish don't eat them. Funny thing is the fish food I bought from NSWCS is the favourite for all my fish (and very economical too).

PPS. This isn't a thread to compare which is better as I am sure N L something has higher nutri value and better for the fish.

I think you need to do a bit more research on this.. NLS is NO way too expensive in comparison to some other well known brands.

NLS Cichlid Formula 150g: $21.00

NLS Cichlid Formula 300g: $33.00

Tetra Cichlid Crisps 247gm: $55.00

Tetra Cichlid Flake 160gm: $38.00

Tetra Cichlid Jumbo Sticks 210gm: $42.00

Tetra Cichlid Mini Granules 220gm: $29.00

Wardley Premium Cichlid Flake 170gm: $25.00

OSI Cichlid Flake 200gm: $36.50

OSI Freshwater Flake 200gm: $29.50

All prices thanks to AOA: http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/home.php

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Regards,

Waruna

WOW, nice way to start a flame war.

The food at the NSWCS is actually Orca pellets (assuming its the pellet)

In No way was it a stab at NLS (here comes RD.) nor was it promo for Prestiage, but more a question in general about the cost of food.

I think you need to do a bit more research on this.. NLS is NO way too expensive in comparison to some other well known brands. I assume the brand you are referring to is Prestige? Sorry but you can't compare the two :-).

Regards,

Waruna

I'm sure it was just an accidental oversight that you just missed these in your comparison to NLS (also from AOA):

Breeders Blend 250gm Floating Pellet * Australian Made $17.50

Nutrafin Max Tropical Fish Flake 180gm $15

AOA Bits 500gm $20

does anybody make their own food ? i used to feed my fish hikari and was very happy with the results .... but i keep large americans and most of these fish are 12 inches and over and i have over 10 fish plus some assorted vics... they have huge appettites they were costing me a fortune. so i have been making my own food out of white bait, green prawns raw eggs and some veges all blended together and then baked until firm. then slice into bite size pieces.... in my case about an inch cube . and then frozen until needed. all my fish look great and are very healthy. so for me $25 lasts me about 6 weeks.. does anybody else have any good recipes they want to share ?

I used to make mine. Pretty much the same mix, with a couple of other things. I never cooked it, just rolled it out flat in snap lock bags and froze. You can just snap off a piece and feed the fish that way.

Much cheaper then buying commercial food.

Play nice people :rules:

there will be no flaming over product brands :no:

Crick13

there are still many out there that have a secret recipe

they make as suppliments to staple dry foods

one ex hobbiest that bred Frontosa used a marinara mix

and recorded spawn qty with a drop of around 30 eggs

per mouthful from his colony when he use off the shelf

pellets and flake instead of the mix to condition them

Chris

I think you need to do a bit more research on this.. NLS is NO way too expensive in comparison to some other well known brands. I assume the brand you are referring to is Prestige? Sorry but you can't compare the two :-).

Regards,

Waruna

I'm sure it was just an accidental oversight that you just missed these in your comparison to NLS (also from AOA):

Breeders Blend 250gm Floating Pellet * Australian Made $17.50

Nutrafin Max Tropical Fish Flake 180gm $15

AOA Bits 500gm $20

Hobcas, it was not at all an accident, i purposely picked those items to prove a point:-). I've never said NLS is the cheapest of all the brands that are available, it is definitely not the most expensive either. Just want to state the fact that NLS is not the most expensive fish food out there.

At the end of the day it all comes down to personal choice, we are only trying to educate people so they can decide for themselves. That is one of the reasons why NLS comes with a money back guarantee, if you are not happy with the purchase simply return it. We give our customers a choice. :)

Regards.

my fish sometimes are eating better than I do.....I'd be sitting at the dinner table eating sausage and mash while in the tank next to me the fish would be chowing down on prawns and scallop meat....

my problem when i buy food is I buy too much and it ends sitting in the cupboard too long.

my fish sometimes are eating better than I do.....I'd be sitting at the dinner table eating sausage and mash while in the tank next to me the fish would be chowing down on prawns and scallop meat....

my problem when i buy food is I buy too much and it ends sitting in the cupboard too long.

At least yours is cooked :thumb

Put your excess food in the freezer, it'll probably help.

I found the price comparisons interesting, and very relative as it compared NLS, Tetra and OSI, the three major brands.

Price is important, but read what you are getting rather than just the price sticker, then make a choice.

• 1 year later...

When my LFS put their prices up for NLS to $55 for 300g I had a look around on ebay to find a better price. I ended up searching the US ebay site (just leave the .au off the end) and couldnt believe the price difference, calculated to about AU$48 for a 2.2kilo tub! After emailing a few suppliers i found one guy who posted it to me in Adelaide for $60. So thats $108 for 2.2kilo (equal to over 7, 300g tubs). The cheapest price i could find in Australia was double that around $220.

Dont get me wrong tho i do like to support local companies, cause without the we'd have nothing over here, but when it comes down to it, thats a big price difference and i couldnt resisit.

Check the local online suppliers. NLS is around $130 a 2.2 kilo tub here. The price isnt that much different really

Archived