Breeding lion heads tank mates

couchy

I have grown lionheads up and they are starting to muck around.

Do I need to breed these in a species only tank or can I house them with either a colony or fry?

I'd prefer to have them in a fry grow tank or will they eat the fry?

Thanks, :thumbup:

Do I need to breed these in a species only tank or can I house them with either a colony or fry?

Lion heads are fantastic parents and will go to huge lengths to protect thier fry. I house them alone, if you were to house them with another pairs fry they would terrorize them if not eat them. I have heard of others keeping dithers with them because apparently they appreciate something to protect their fry from but I have never used this practice.

I had a pair of lionheads and they outbred my 3 foot tank, I had somewhere around 80 fry the first spawn with most surviving. The tank also had 3 bn and 8 red phantom tetra. They chased the other fish away without being verly aggressive, as mathobes said they are great parents.

I had a pair of lionheads and they outbred my 3 foot tank, I had somewhere around 80 fry the first spawn with most surviving. The tank also had 3 bn and 8 red phantom tetra. They chased the other fish away without being verly aggressive, as mathobes said they are great parents.

As priscacara has said they keep tetras with them, the dither fish method works, I might even give it a go, a school of rummy nose Tetras would look cool

• 3 weeks later...

HI couchy just wonderin how your lion heads goin have they bred yet cause i am interested in gettin some .. ijust bought a tank from ebay 3 in one for 150 cleaned up well i am happy with it .. just cycling it at moment will post photos soon .......do you have a photo of lionheads for us to see :thumbup:

Archived