3 Tier breeding setup

mathobes

Hey all, I've been offered a breeding setup for $550. It's a 3 tier with 3 2ft tanks on each level hooked up to a four foot sump. I would probably ditch most the two footers and have 6ft on one level a 4ft and 2ft on the next level and two 3ft on the last level. As stated before it comes with a four foot sump/wet dry filter that includes two 300w heaters and the pump as well as all the bioballs. Is it worth $550 even though I wanna change most of the tanks?

Cheers

Hey all, I've been offered a breeding setup for $550. It's a 3 tier with 3 2ft tanks on each level hooked up to a four foot sump. I would probably ditch most the two footers and have 6ft on one level a 4ft and 2ft on the next level and two 3ft on the last level. As stated before it comes with a four foot sump/wet dry filter that includes two 300w heaters and the pump as well as all the bioballs. Is it worth $550 even though I wanna change most of the tanks?

Cheers

what type of fish are u planning on breeding, with my settup iam breeding texas cichlids and i have found that having lots of small tanks is very useful because every couple of weeks they breed and ive found that i cant mix the different batches of fry because the slightly larger ones kill the small ones. so its very handy... but if u are looking to replace most of the tanks maybe not worth it because u will need to drill all the new tanks and re plum the whole settup,, maybe u can re use the bulkheads that come with the system. and u would need to change all the return pipes as well to suit the new system. if the stand the sump and pump and heaters are really good . u could sell the 2 footers to help cover the cost of the new tanks and the holes u need to drill in them. i think a standard 4 footer with hole drilled would probably cost around $130... u can buy a bit for your drill and have a go at driiling the tanks yourself. it cost me $50 dollars for the bit that i bought and so far have drilled about 20 holes with it and so far no breakages, saved a lot of money . the shops wanted to charge me $20 a hole... u can go on youtube and they show u how to do it yourself.. good luck !

I am going to be breeding malawians, I considered not pluming up the 6 foot on the top tier and get into americans but that just means more money for separate filters and heaters etc, plus more work! The guy that's selling would help me drill new holes and set the whole thing up. Two footers are to small for what I want to breed so a change in tanks is a must. The stand and pump etc is all good I would have to buy new pipes etc.

If you are going to ditch most of the tanks then it doesnt seem worth while buying this set-up to me. You are really just buying it for the stand and a two foot tank.

Drilling tanks yourself can be tricky if you havent done it before. break one tank and its a waste of time. Older glass can also be harder to drill.

Start from scratch and get the tanks you want.

Josh

If you are going to ditch most of the tanks then it doesnt seem worth while buying this set-up to me. You are really just buying it for the stand and a two foot tank.

Drilling tanks yourself can be tricky if you havent done it before. break one tank and its a waste of time. Older glass can also be harder to drill.

Start from scratch and get the tanks you want.

Josh

How much do you think it would cost to start from scratch? If I bought the tanks second hand as display quality isn't needed. I also get a four foot sump with pump and heaters with one side full of bioballs.

Are you really going to use the sump?

Six foot tanks second hand for breeding could be cheaper the $100 each.

It probably wouldn't be any cheaper then buying that set-up, but it would be cheaper then buying the set-up and then modifying it suit your needs.

Are you really going to use the sump?

Six foot tanks second hand for breeding could be cheaper the $100 each.

It probably wouldn't be any cheaper then buying that set-up, but it would be cheaper then buying the set-up and then modifying it suit your needs.

Well using the sump would be alot cheaper that setting up each individual tank with filters, heaters etc. I would be breeding malawians so the water parameters would be the same, so I'd run all of them off the sump. The seller said he would help me set it up but it is a put off having to buy bigger tanks for it.

Archived