Jaguar cichlid (Parachromis managuensis)

steje008

I have a male Jag about 8" and a female about 4.5" in a 6ft tank. For the second time running now they have killed the fertilized eggs. the first time they killed them before the eggs hatched and just recently they killed them just as the first few started to hatch. I was under the impression that you were meant to take them away after they become free swimming, as this is what i have done for other cichlids that i have successfully bread. however they are being killed before that. I am only new to breeding Jag's so can someone give me an idea on what do do for next time?

Cheers,

Jake

I have a male Jag about 8" and a female about 4.5" in a 6ft tank. For the second time running now they have killed the fertilized eggs. the first time they killed them before the eggs hatched and just recently they killed them just as the first few started to hatch. I was under the impression that you were meant to take them away after they become free swimming, as this is what i have done for other cichlids that i have successfully bread. however they are being killed before that. I am only new to breeding Jag's so can someone give me an idea on what do do for next time?

Cheers,

Jake

do u know if its both fish doin the killing or just one,, if its one just remove the killer fish. u said u actual had some starting to hatch, iam sure the rest will hatch in the next couple of hours and would be fine if u remove the parents as the hatching starts to happen. then u can suck them out in to a fry tank and raise them... hope this helps and good luck.

By Jag standards they are quite small and presumably young.I would leave them alone and let them get it right on their own.The big central americans generally make good parents and if you split them up the male may kill the female when put back together.If your desperate for eggs remove them soon after they are layed and artificially raise them.Sometimes removing eggs or fry causes a domestic dispute,again resulting in death,this is more likely to happen when fry are removed

Good luck,I love these fish

Archived