OFMIG allow norm halliwell to participate

Link2Hell

Found a post on another forum that states .......

OFMIG members agree to let Norm Halliwell participate in group business

as an informal group member again

Norm will be able to make contributions through the ornamental fish

reference group to consolidate state inputs to OFMIG

Nice work guy's :thumb looks like they took notice

Chris

OFMIG members agree to let Norm Halliwell participate in group business

as an informal group member again

Did they? I know I'm a cynical sod but I don't get that from the letter.

- Norm's input will be sought in a reference capacity from time to time when required.

- his views will be relayed by Melissa Walker

So if they feel the need they might ask him some questions and if has an opinion to express he can express it to Melissa??

Did they? I know I'm a cynical sod but I don't get that from the letter.

- Norm's input will be sought in a reference capacity from time to time when required.

- his views will be relayed by Melissa Walker

So if they feel the need they might ask him some questions and if has an opinion to express he can express it to Melissa??

I read it the same way, but also read that they will allow the decision of the previous chair.

A bit confusing....Sounds more like a John Howard speech LOL

I have to agree with Laurie as this sounds like this has been written by a "spin doctor" to minimise the impact of saying no flat out. It is a little like saying:

"you will get a say in all the issues raised in discussions of the committee, as long as you know what the issues are, ask me and I agree to pass them on. Given I am only a member of a larger committee this all but nullifies your input if I pass it on..."

:dntknw::toohard:

cheers

Rosco

The members agreed to let stand the decision of the previous chair in regards to Norm Halliwell's participation means exactly that. They have put their foot down and is saying "No." Unless I've read it wrong in some ways.

The rest of the paragraph afterwards simply states that he is a citizen and is allowed input (as we all do).

Whether this is a carefully spun-web or not, the letter response is completely unsatifactory and the results are also unsatisfactory in my opinion.

It is also of high concern that all the OFMIG remaining members have explicitly expressed that Norm Halliwell be excluded and ejected from meetings.

The members agreed to let stand

Seems like they do have malicious intent and they intend to make decisions without ALL representation of Australians. It seems that this particular committee would much prefer a closed door, secretive committee, left to their own wills. Considering that many of them do have commercial attachments, it does leave a lot of thoughts.

I would settle for nothing less than "formal" general member of the OFMIG. Be vary of letters that are vague, and which a lot of meanings like informal, and paraphrasing and padding can obfuscate the real intent of the letter.

Having been on Gov Comitees before it sounds like Norms positon is a perfect one to be ignored by the commitee.

It also sounds like its a perfect oppurtunity to NEVER ask for his views as they may never be required..

Sounds like normal gov spinning to me :angry:

Mike

Dear Members, Those of you who felt I would not be participating in any OFMIG discussions are correct, as the new chair Dr. Doroudi was adament I would not be invited back unless they felt I should be involved, and the other Industry members (with the exception of Anthony Ramsey, who was very scathing of the treatment of me and he defending my inclusion) all did not vote for me to stay on this committee, which is totally fine by me as the OFMIG have a Technical Working Group, made up of three Industry and three Hobby reps, plus Gopvernment people to discuss all matters on fish being looked at by the Government, and I would be better installed here, and I am reliably informed I will be invited to be on the TWG but as of 1.5.10 I have not been asked to attend. If or when this is to occur, I will keep you informed, as this Group OFMIG want to ban all species we keep in the hobby, and I for one will not allow this to happen and I may need everyones help in bombarding Ministers and the like at some later date to show them we mean business. I am reliably informed that DEWHA (Minister Garrett in the Minister involved here) have agreed to the Act having three listing in it, 1, An allowable import list, 2, A Noxious Listing, and 3, A list of species of fish being kept, bred and sold throughout Australia that do not belong to the two previous lists, but this has not been guaranteed in writing as yet, so I will be pushing for this third list to be implemented ASAP, and will be making representation to OFMIG (somehow?) that this list, or the intension to have this list is put in writing to Industry. How I will do this is another matter! That's about all I can say at present, regards Norm.

hmmm I don't know Norm but I guess having a hobbiest (hope he is! lol) member would be good.

Concerns. what is his background? does he have any science degrees/qualification that the departments will consider his oppinion useful and valid?

remember this is politics! bunch of brainless looking for "what is in it for me"

From the reading of that letter, this program is to protect australia's native and if I was the committee, would they really listen to someone just because they'd been keeping fish and a major hobbiest?

I hope there's someone who has some scientific background who is also an enthusiest be amongst the committee.

Sorry once again rumbling. Congrats Norm

Hi, granted it's not full acceptance but it is a foot in the door

and progress compared to where Norm was in relation to OFMIG

Norm please keep us updated with how things are going and

what we can do as hobbiests to assist

Chris

I currently work for a federal government department and there is a way to get things done and your opinion heard. Absolute PITA and you have to bite your tongue a lot otherwise you are off to the naughty corner never to be heard.

The alternate way round this is for the industry to get together and look at a way of moving this forward in conjunction with positive media exposure. Basically how the industry is part of solution in helping maintain biological diversity and good fish care. Right now the hobby is on the back foot however Peter Garrett is very vulnerable.

hmmm I don't know Norm but I guess having a hobbiest (hope he is! lol) member would be good.

Concerns. what is his background? does he have any science degrees/qualification that the departments will consider his oppinion useful and valid?

remember this is politics! bunch of brainless looking for "what is in it for me"

From the reading of that letter, this program is to protect australia's native and if I was the committee, would they really listen to someone just because they'd been keeping fish and a major hobbiest?

I hope there's someone who has some scientific background who is also an enthusiest be amongst the committee.

Sorry once again rumbling. Congrats Norm

Sounds very much like a boys club. People gathering together under public funding to make rules for the public for which they deem only themselves necessary to be the judges of. I believe transparency is something that would be law for gatherings such as the OFMIG.

I do believe that there is a process to all things, however biting your tongue and naughty corners very much seem like impeachments upon civil liberties and freedom of speech. It really is sad, if those are the conditions for that club meeting. I fully agree that public exposure via the media may be the best way forward.

The Government make laws for the public, it would be up to the public, via the media to make sure that all's well and that nothing underhanded occurs.

Let's face it. Policies such as banning all fish other than those on the import list only has a few winners, mainly the importers, and those are majorly represented by Aquarium Industries and Bayfish. This would be a tremendous financial boost to their private coffers, so I am wondering if they are on this committee?

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Chris, Could you please advise me where you saw this approval of me being able to participate on OFMIG or anywhere else, as it is News to me, regards Norm Halliwell

Norm,

I got the same email as FINN has posted on page one of this thread, if that is what you are asking Chris about.

Craig

Let's face it. Policies such as banning all fish other than those on the import list only has a few winners, mainly the importers, and those are majorly represented by Aquarium Industries and Bayfish. This would be a tremendous financial boost to their private coffers, so I am wondering if they are on this committee?

I think youve hit the nail on the head here but as usual theyre not thinking far forward enough

If we can only keep certain fish then we will breed certain fish, usually the ones the big importers can sell...it means therefor that ALL small breeders will be in competition with the big importers because thats all we can keep....I think theyre shooting themselves in the foot here..

Of course the next step is to do what has been done in Tas...make it very difficult for people to keep and breed fish at home because its illegal to sell to each other....is this true?

Mike :)

I had to smile at that Mike, as I was joking around with a concept of VCFS (Victorian Community Fish Soc). Imagine how the major importers will react when crazy hobbyists have to resort to mass producing livebearers and other community fish to dammed their urges to have a gazillion tanks and a gazillion fish. You are correct in that their shortsightness will invariably make them broke as we know crazy buM hobbyists will spend thousands of dollars to set up and breed and in the end sell off 10 guppies for $4, having given away 5 more and dropped in some fishfood for good measure.

Archived