Introduction

Nathan

HI all, Just thought i'd post to make myself know. I am new to tropical fish and I have decided to go with cichlids, I have a 4 foot tank with ehiem 2213 external canister filter, full pine cabinet and hood painted gloss black, 4 foot aqua one light (unsure of what globe) substrate is some sort of gravel (came with the tank), I have made some caves and things with terra cotta pots. I will post pics up soonish, I'm just setting things up and looking to stock saturday arvo, Weird thing was the Ph went straight past 7.6 after been cycling less then 24hrs (Where I live tap water is perfectly neutral). Could the be because I am using second hand substrate and filter?? either way its perfect Ph, usure of GH/KH and nitrite/nitrate levels yet, I will be testing them tonight. Well anyway just thought id say HI.

Cheers

Nathan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell and welcome from another Cichlid newb. The people here are highly knowledgable and helpful.

Wow thats softer than Sydney water. What do you plan to buffer with? How are you accelerating the cycle?

well tested the GH and was around 11 unsure if thats a tad to high, ammonia was zero as was nitrite, the KH test didnt go blue just went straight to yellow so thats was strange

well I haven't really done anything at all to speed things up, only thing I can put it down to is the use of second hand substrate, I have an ehiem 2213 which has new pads but the noodles and bio balls are oldish so maybe thats whats causing it, as for a buffer I have sea shells and so forth in there which helps a little bit, if not I do have an additive which I can use to buffer it. I plan on getting 4 new friends on saturday from a local store that has quite a good range of cichlids and only deal in fish and reptile, it is owner operated so they have been great. But I also will be taking a water sample with me if they say the water isn't perfect I will hold off on the live stock for another week and keep the tests up.

Cheers

Nathan

Welcome to the site mate. ZGood to see you are doing the right things and testing water parameters. Excellent bunch of people in the forum and great advice. Happy Fish Keeping... Whet Spoeces of Chichlid are you going to keep.

Welcome mate! As fullycichlid says, it's great to see you're going about everything the right way. I am sure you'll have every success.

Good move Nathan.

Welcome to the site. :thumbup:

This is where you'll find people just as nutty as you are about this great hobby. There's plenty of support, tips etc. great to see U r taking your time and not rushing into things. The benefits are great if you are patient.

Welcome again

Regards Cafa :raisehand:

thanx for the warm welcome everybody, went to the fish store today and everything was fine bar the hardness which only just out so I have been give a specific cichlid conditioning salt so I should be able to bring the hardness up over 300ppm by tomorro and my be able get thye live stock in then, I'm going to start off with 2 rustys 2 electric yellow and 2 species that I can't remember, this is a starting point in case parameters aren't perfect as ammonia spikeing will be happening but once the tank cycles properly I plan on keeping milawian cichlids

Cheers

Nathan

Welcome. Tank looks great mate, remember to keep a close eye on the water parameters. When the speakers are on do you think it would bother the fish? Vibrations and such? I'm not sure maybe someone else knows? Happy cichlid keeping mate :thumbup:

nah the speakers only surround speakers so only work part of the time and at very low volumes, no bass comes out of them just high end, and thaks regarding the tank its my first attempt at making a rift lake set up, not a huge fan of the plants but i wanted something high so the fish would use the top half of the tank

Cheers

I had same problem when I first started out about a year ago. It's alot to do with the fishes preferance ( bottom and mid water dwellers. But I bought a whole lot of rocks and built up caves on the back corners of my tank leaving the middle open water. The fish love the caves and it provides heaps of hiding spaces. I'll post up pics if you wanna see.

mathobes pics would be great, ive been watching heaps all night and they seem to be using nearly all of the tank and getting along great with each other I think a couple of my blue have staked a claim to somen parts of the tank

Cheers

mathobes pics would be great, ive been watching heaps all night and they seem to be using nearly all of the tank and getting along great with each other I think a couple of my blue have staked a claim to somen parts of the tank

Cheers

I will post up some pics tomorrow, do you mean scieanochromis fryeri? They get bad when they mature, real aggressive, well in my display tank they did so I put them in another tank and started breeding them.

unsure of the names at the moment they are blue with black zebra like stripes with black tips on their dorsal fins

I couldn't tell you what it is without a photo, someone else would be able to. I'll post pics of my tank tommorow. Good luck mate :thumbup:

Hmm not sure what they are. They have the shape of a sciaenochromis fryeri Juvi but not same colouration. Someone else could tell you, I haven't seen them before.

Edited by mathobes

As requested, my display setup:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Tank not the best quality, its 4ft and pretty old (getting new 6ft tank soon as i can :thumb ). The fish love the rocky caves, they think they are about to get fed in that photo :lol3:

looks good mate, what rocks are been used?? great looking fish aswell, how long have you had them I can't wait for mine to grow that big. Thanks for loading the pics

Cheers

Had these fish for about 6-7 months(except for the blue dolphin, only had him for about a week). Got them all as juvis and they still have alot of growing to do. In that tank I'm keeping 1 labidochromis caeruleus, 1 aulonocara baenschi, 1 Copadichromis borleyi, 1 Steatocranus casuarius and 1 Cyrtocara moorii. The rocks are a mix of volcano rock and what they called river pebbles. Got 4 mesh shopping bags full for $5.