Legal to bring these into Australia?

kcfongie

I think you need to contact AQIS and find out how they interperate

the regs regarding these items

I would think it OK so long as the items have no organic matter on them

but .............................. :dntknw:

Chris

It depends on the species of shell and coral as some are protected by CITES and other international treaties.

I was planning to bring in dead coral pieces (1~2cm) as filter media. i doubht anyone can tell what species.

Just hoping someone else has done it so I won't have to go through the hassle of calling up the official offices to find out.

i declared a couple of shells and coral peices back from raratonga last year. i declared them and they got past no problem. they smelt them to see if they were clean. One type of shell is not allowed but can't remember the name

Back in March I did sent an email to the AQIS regarding importing shells into Aus (Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service) and below is a copy of their response, thought the info would be useful.

=====================================================================

Thank you for your enquiry about bringing snail shells into Australia as part of your personal baggage. The conditions for bringing snail shells into Australia as part of your personal baggage are:

Sea shells are allowed into Australia as part of your personal baggage provided the sea shells are free from infestation and contamination with insects, soil, animal material, marine material, seed and other plant material. The sea shells must be inspected on arrival to ensure they are free from infestation and contamination. Sea shells that do not meet these import conditions must be treated, re-exported from Australia or destroyed. Treatment or re-export must be paid for by the importer.

Some sea shells (e.g. queen conch) may be subject to Environment Australia legislation under CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora). Commodities known to be, or considered to be covered by CITES will be referred to the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service (Customs and Border Protection) on arrival in Australia. If you are unsure whether the item you wish to bring into Australia is of CITES concern you should contact the Australian Government Department of Environment and Water Resources on the details below:

Phone: (02) 6274 1900

Fax: (02) 6274 1921

Email: wildlifetrade@environment.gov.au

Internet: http://www.environment.gov.au/

=====================================================================

Cheers,

Steve

I did when I was in sharm Egypt and in Greece from a couple of the ilands ? Not more than I can put in 1 of my hand !

Was planing to put them into a tank in seperate corners just to remind me where iv been but yeah there in the bath room now lol !

Archived