Buying used Matrix media

sofiko

To cut costs, I'm looking at purchasing some used matrix media.

Are there any risks with doings so? - like it being previously contaminated with medications/chemicals.

The seller had been using the matrix in his marine tank, for a while.

Are there any other problems to think about?

Interesting way to get a tank to cycle. Where can you get used matrix? Are you putting the matrix in a marine or fresh tank?

I am running a second hand tank with used live rock in the filter from a marine tank. the tank will be for Afrincan Cihclids. For whatever reason nitrites have been high. Today I added sand and did an 80% change. Nitrites are zero and Ammonia 0.25 ppm.

Someone else here has used live rock and has an early ammonia spike.

You could always run it with bleach, activated carbon and purigen followed by lots of safe to get rid of the bleach to be ultra sure. BTW I am a complete newb so research what I say.

To cut costs, I'm looking at purchasing some used matrix media.

Are there any risks with doings so? - like it being previously contaminated with medications/chemicals.

The seller had been using the matrix in his marine tank, for a while.

Are there any other problems to think about?

If you used "live rock" from a marine tank and add it to a fresh water tank you will get a massive ammonia spike. Everyhing that is living in the roack will die and very quickly.

Live rock has no place in a fresh water aquarium.

matrix is just a media that provideds a massive surface area for bateria to grow on. There are a heap of cheaper alternatives out there. Years ago we used to use Scoria. Its was cheap and readily available.

Josh

By "matrix"media I assume you mean Seachem Matrix

anything secondhand can harbour pathogens and so will

require being made safe

as per cpfc's comment bleach and flush a few times

you could look at baking it in an oven also then letting it

cool down before flushing again

NOTE I have not tried Matrix in an oven and would try

a sample quantity to determine feasability of this process

scoria has been used as Josh says but there have can be

problems with sulphur deposits as scoria is from volcanic

origins

can you confirm what matrix you are considering

Chris

can you confirm what matrix you are considering

Seachem's Matrix

Thanks for all your comments :thumbup:

I'll take on your advice and "treat" the used matrix for any nasties, before placing it in my filter.

I noticed a nitrite spike but missed the ammonia spike. I am just setting the tank up and waiting for water chemistry to go stable. A bit of a fishless cycle. I will probablt replace it all.

The theory with matrix is that it will contain anearobic bacteria that eats nitrates. The bacteria takes time to develop.

If you used "live rock" from a marine tank and add it to a fresh water tank you will get a massive ammonia spike. Everyhing that is living in the roack will die and very quickly.

Live rock has no place in a fresh water aquarium.

matrix is just a media that provideds a massive surface area for bateria to grow on. There are a heap of cheaper alternatives out there. Years ago we used to use Scoria. Its was cheap and readily available.

Josh

If the Matrix is going from owner's tank directly to yours (fresh to fresh), there is a tremendous advantage with the potential of immediate cycling. If the current owner's tank was healthy it would be worth considering.

If the Matrix is dried out, all bacteria are dead. I would think that the drying process, provided it was long enough would be sufficient, but if further sterilisation is required, I'd be looking at boiling rather than the suggested oven, or bleach. Still test a few pieces before you commit the whole lot, but I don't see anything going wrong, where as the oven could cause issues if too hot.

Even soaking in salt water (if it's come from fresh) would do the job I think.

Matrix is good stuff, better than scoria, or other cheap alternatives.

This matrix had been used in a saltwater tank, however, the seller's closed down the sw tank and the matrix media (8 litres) has been lying idle for a couple of months.

Still for peace of mind, I'll look at treating the matrix further, before adding to my fw tank.

Appreciate all your helpful comments :thumbup:

Archived