Pallet racking

travolta

Hi James,

I paied $350 for this racking. It will hold three 8x2x2 without any troubles.

user posted image

All I did was look in the Yellow Pages for Packing and Storage and there were heaps of places that sold pallet racking. Give a few a call. Most sell second hand stuff which is what I got. Andy got bran new stuff the same as mine but Dixon for $450 from memory. Dixon is the brand name of the most popular Pallet Racking.

HTH

It's actually Dexion. Yep mine was $450 for basically a 9x2 rack with 3 levels.

I believe someone on here not too long ago was advertising it cheaper than that, but for the price, it's a pretty good rack (and adjustable too. You can pull it apart in 5 minutes ready to move as well).

Well worth the investment.

The rating on my rack is 2.2 tonne per beam. There is no flex along the entire 9ft of beam. Each shelf holds a little over 700 kg of weight including tanks and water.

Hi James,

If you talk to them (Dexion or anyone else) make sure you ask lots of questions. Apparently, it is quite common for the beams to have a 15mm tolerance with regard to bowing. This would not happen though if your tank took up the entire length of the span of the beam, it would happen if you put 2 x 4' tanks on an 8' span for arguements sake. Then you would have bowing in the centre causing your 2 tanks to start leaning into each other. You also need to measure the useable length of each beam compared to the 'actual' length of tank. eg on a 4' beam, you cannot fit a standard length 4' tank without extra packing as the beam 'supports' get in the way at either end.

If you look at the pic above of the 4 smaller tanks, they actually had to be drained and moved further apart because they started leaning. Pallet racking is very good for racking but you need to be aware of all the pros and cons before you get into it and also you may not get ALL that info from the racking people.

Hope this helps smile.gif

hey anita thanx alots for that info smile.gif

the beams i'm going to get are 2743 and the tanks i'm putting on there are 8ft so thats 2440 so it should be ok. the beams i'm getting are 125mm i'm going to check before i buy it that they will handle to load.

thanx again James

My racks pictured below have two 4x2x18 tanks on the bottom two levels and two 4x2x14 on the top level.

I've run a stringline across the bottom of the tanks and there is no bowing at all.

If you had 4x2x2 tanks it may be a different story.

user posted image

If you look at the pic above of the 4 smaller tanks, they actually had to be drained and moved further apart because they started leaning.

If I was to do it all over again I would do as Andy has done and have 16mm MDF under the tank rather than the hardwood and chip board as I have done. However, as Anita said, my tanks after about 12 months started to get closer and closer. I had by that time moved the 4x2x2 on the bottom shelf and replaced 2 of the 60x60x58's.

If I keep my racking for the new fish room I would only put 8x2x2's or special made 9x2x2's on it, or use it for kids bikes etc. laugh.gif

hey all,

yesterday i had been doing homework all day on this stuff and i've got prices etc. i seen the racking that was 2743mm long which is just over 8ft and i can get the frames at 1219mm wide. i thought this was a good idea because i was going to put 2 8ftx20"x20" tanks back to back on each shelf and that would give me 8 inches in between the tanks to fit all the pipe work comfortably, but i'm just concerned about the wood bowing in between the 2 tanks.

Andy i noticed you said your racking was 610 wide, was that a special order?

i think i would rather do that so i can put 8x2x20" and the entire base of the tank will cover the whole framing.

any of your thoughts on the idea is much appreciated smile.gif

regards James

Andy I noticed you said you’re racking was 610 wide, was that a special order?

I think I would rather do that so I can put 8x2x20" and the entire base of the tank will cover the whole framing.

Mine is 610mm wide and yes it was a special order but it didn't cost any extra.

I think Andy modified his himself from memory.

The only way to go is the 610mm wide racking otherwise the support you would have to put between the two beams would be ridiculers. However, from memory you can get pallet racking with a middle beam. i.e. three beams. Maybe that is an option for what you are trying to do.

Archived