Catching tiny bristlenose fry

Rol&Jas

when you are siphoning the fry out, just use a length of hose that they will fit in and siphon the water and fry into a bucket, the vacuum of the siphon should be enough to pick up the fry off the bottom of the tank. Just start the siphon off as you would when you are cleaning the gravel in the tank.

Hope this helps.

cheers, Alan. cool.gif

When I was breeding mine, in a bigger tank though, I'd get a typical green net and bend the base at 90 degrees. Id then put a slice of zuccini in the net and walk away for five or ten minutes. When I came back they were fighting over the zuccini and I'd just lift the net to get them out. Then repeat process. Its not the quickest or easiest but seems to work for me.

Also with siphoning, make sure the water is deep enough that the fry dont hit the water/bottom too hard

• 3 weeks later...

When I was breeding mine, in a bigger tank though, I'd get a typical green net and bend the base at 90 degrees. Id then put a slice of zuccini in the net and walk away for five or ten minutes. When I came back they were fighting over the zuccini and I'd just lift the net to get them out. Then repeat process. Its not the quickest or easiest but seems to work for me.

Also with siphoning, make sure the water is deep enough that the fry dont hit the water/bottom too hard

The net and food trick works a treat... that is how I do it.

Bit of a pain getting the last few out though!

The less fry to catch the longer you have to wait!

Catching the fry.

If you can get hold of a hollow log, redgum preferred, about 100-150 mm across, cut it into lengths about 1/2 the water depth, you can catch nearly all your fry in one go. Stand the log on one end, on top of a net which is wider than the log. In a few minutes, most of the fry will be inside the log. Lift the log and the net together and you have a net full of fry. Bingo! No waiting, no risk, works every time.

Catching the fry.

If you can get hold of a hollow log, redgum preferred, about 100-150 mm across, cut it into lengths about 1/2 the water depth, you can catch nearly all your fry in one go. Stand the log on one end, on top of a net which is wider than the log. In a few minutes, most of the fry will be inside the log. Lift the log and the net together and you have a net full of fry. Bingo! No waiting, no risk, works every time.

Very neeto trick... Pity I aint got not logs to do this sad.gif

Will have to get me some logs for my soon to be BN breeding tanks

Archived