is ph up toxic if injested by fish

gizmo01g

hi there,i have a tank with discus in the ph was 4.8 when tested .so i put a tea spoon of ph up in and noticed that my red dimond was eating it about to hrs later he was doing looped loop in the tank i gather that he had toxic him self out left him over night and in the morning he was doing circles on the bottom of the tank on his side so i put him in the frezzer. seeing he was the only 1 who ate it i thought it might be that he gave him self an inbalace of ph internally and put him in to ph shock everybody else seem fine just wonder what u guys thought . thanxs shaz sadsmiley02.gif

Thank god it was only a discus and not a real fish! laugh.giflaugh.gif

You need to dissolve upper or downer in a couple of litres of tank water before adding it.

It is going to have the same effect on a human (minus the loops unless you are swimming at the time tongue.gif ). If the ph gets too high our kidneys would go and thus sending our heart into weird and not so wonderful rythms causing us to arrest (heart attack). This is a very crude and simple explanation.

Ph downer on the other hand effects respiratory drive and the oxyhaemoglobin dissociation curve but thats a whole other science lesson.

Cheers

Memphis

It would be like ingesting a huge alka-seltza....sadly the fish would have been quite distressed. I made the mistake once of not dissolving rift salts and my brevis died in the same manner sadsmiley02.gif

merjo

I gotta say Giz, I have kept fish for years and always done exactly what you did. I would have never experienced problems from this, and have seen fish nibble on PH down with no probs. I guess I have been lucky, and you not so lucky.

I guess the only thing I can say is I am sure a lot of us have learnt from your experience. Thanks for letting us know.

Archived