Removing Silicone

Ducksta

OK, I want to reseal a tank. So I have been trying to remove the old silicone so as to not interfere with the adhesion of the new stuff. I have been going at it with a razor/stanley knife but it doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere.

So what is the secret? There must be something I am missing. (I bet it's really obvious)

Ducksta,

Use the double honed industrial blades...you'll need a few because they lose their edge very quickly. The glass may be permanently etched if the silicone has been there for some time.

merjo

i agree I use the /paint stripper disposable razor type blades from a hardware , it gets almost all of it of except maybe soem residue, to remove this I use a course rag an terpintine and rub real hard , it should just ball up like rubbing your hands together! tongue.gif then i rub down the area with methelated spirit to remove the terps residue, and then rub down with a clean rag and water to remove any metho residue, let dry start siliconing! biggrin.gif

Rest the broken tank on a flat surface, and the replacement glass in position but lying flat on the floor in front of the tank where it is to go. Put the silicon on the replacement glass, then raise the glass with the bottom edge as a pivot point, and put into position. Keep a rag and metho nearby to get it off your fingers and remove it from areas of the tank your silicon fingers have put on the tank in your last seconds of panic. You shouldn’t need to tape the new glass in place, but it wouldn’t hurt to keep some handy.

The biggest trick will be to make sure when you raise this new glass into position, that the bottom and top edges are on line with the existing top and bottom edges of the existing tank.

Craig

Archived