what should I breed?

Roquen

Hi everyone

I am new to cichlids and wanted some advice on what breed i should decided on for breeding (and selling ). What is a wanted breed around at the moment?

I have a 2 foot tank - will this be ok for fry? and I am considering a 3-4 foot tank as the display tank for the adults when they arent making babies :-)

Any tips on what breed, how many to house in there, any other compatable fish for the display and anything else you think I might need to know!

Thanks in advance

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa

on this site there is section - cichlid profiles you could browse this section to get an idea of the different types .

2ft tank is fine for fry, the overall size of the display tank depends on the fish you end up choosing

Hi Vanessa -

Welcome to the SCP forums.

There are lots of fish (cichlids are the most diverse group of freshwater fish).

What are your main interests / requirements?

colour? behaviours? tank mates?

etc.

Hi, thanks for the replies so far!

I totally adore fish in general so am not that picky on thing like colour and so on.. What is a good beginner type cichlid to start with that is relatively easy to breed? My lfs man suggested I start breeding him some Johanni ( M. Interruptus) or the P. Zebras.. any thoughts on those?

i think maybe a pair of convicts, or yeh like the lfs says, zebras would be good, as these fish are good for beginers. well thats my opinion, try to find out fish that are hardy and wont get stress out too easily.

hmmz.. johanni

they can get out of hand, i mean their aggression, you might lose fish males might kill females and vice versa. so therefore i'd stick to the zeabra. how ever it is up to you, johanni arnt very popular here so gettin rid of babies might take a while, but that goes for the zeabras as well. but for starters dont go into fish that is demanded by the people here as they can get quite expensive and might need more experience to take care of.

hope i am helping smile.gif

Guest Panga

Vanessa,

I would suggest Lionhead. They are a wonderful fish to keep and breed.

They are the very good parents that will look after their fry.

They arent the most liked cichlid but i reckon they are great. blush.gif

Cheers Troy biggrin.gif

If you are worried about being able to sell the fry I guess you could go one of two ways. You could breed the stock standard species that sell the quickest in fish shops like Electric Blues, Electric Yellows, Mainganos, Auratus, Cobalt Blues, Saulosi, and any other fish that looks apealing when it is 2cm in size. If you decide to breed these fish, just remember that there will be loads of other people breeding the same fish as you so you might want to differentiate your fish somehow from everyone elses. Ways to do this might be to breed a true strain of "Iceberg" electric blues which get a white blaze down their head or prehaps get some top quality Electic yellows that have no white or black on their bodies...stuff like that.

The other way you could go is to breed rare species that no one else is breeding. You can either do this by being one of the first people to buy young from a newly imported species. You may have to pay more for these species but you can also charge a lot more for the fry. Another good way to find rare fish is to pay attention to supply/demand fluctuations and breed a species that is in low supply and high demand.

Hope this helped.

Thanks , that does help a lot.

I think since I am new to cichlids i might stick with something like the Iceberg electric blues or somthing first.. and see how I go. Any tips on where to get a breeding pair?

or Vanessa - you can keep some dwarf cichlids in a planted tank biggrin.gif!

Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher) are in my opinion the BEST first cichlid!

Try posting a WTB (want to buy) in the classifieds section of this forum asking for Sciaenochromis fryeri "Iceberg" and see if you get any replies. It might be a good idea to ask for a picture of the parent fish to see if they have a full white blaze down their head.

Archived