Amazing - a 2 headed fish

Fins

It's an Altolamprologus compressiceps "Kigoma FireFin".

Eggs were layed around 4th March 2004.

I didn't think it would survive this long but it seems to be doing ok.

It is smaller than the rest of the brood, but it is eating well.

user posted image

user posted image

fins

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi fins,

Thanks for sharing....thankfully it's not too often that we see this type of oddity. I'm sure you'll get some flack about keeping it alive, but I agree that it is interesting to see.

merjo

Do both heads eat, or just one?

Name it Olsen lol (ie the olsen twins - I think it'd be cute. smile.gif )

Well it's not likely to be used as a breeder blink.gif So i say keep it as long as you can .... There is no reason to cull him/her (or both) laugh.gif .As it's not a threat to anything .... It has every right to keep fighting , Good luck

I think it's cute wub.gif ...

Andy...

Ps... i'm not all there though tongue.gif

I had a look around the internet for info on 2 headed animals and found some interesting reading.

I read an article on a 2 headed snake whereby each head would fight over a prey. They would even try to devour each others head!

It looks like they were formed similar to siamese twins, where the egg hadn't spilt properly.

I know it's a long long way to go, but I wonder if it could breed. If so, I wonder how a mate would react and behave.

The article said the offspring are normal from the 2 headed snake. I guess that would make sense seeing it's not really an inherited trait.

I have noticed that the main head has most control over the body, but every so often, it would jerk sideways, the side head would be trying to swim in it's own direction. I haven't noticed the side head taking food, although I haven't really observed at feeding time. I will try to take note from now on.

fins

Gday, i say leave it be and see if the little tyke will make it. Theres no use killing a fish just cause it is a bit "different", damn, if we had that policy for humans, i know myself and a shedload of people wouldnt be here still. LOL

Keep an eye on him and keep us posted on his/her progress.

cheers, Alan. cool.gif

How bizzare! ohmy.gif

I didn't catch what species of fish it's from, was that at the beginning of the post of did I miss it?

Cheers

Richard

There are all kinds of two headed things. Cell division gone wrong, yes. The Who magazine (I think) had a story on two girls sharing one body (that was how you would put it as they both have different identities/personalities and each controls one side of the body they share). They were about 11 I think in the story and might be about 14-15 now.

Actually you know I can't help thinking that Western medicine's determination to 'surgically separate' people like this is out of control. So many kids die after this kind of intervention. Is it an obsession with 'normality', a desire to play god, or what? Why can't they let them be? These girls in the US are leading a happy life, playing ball, sliding down slides, living with a loving family. Call me a cynic, but I can't help thinking that if they lived in a third world country with a disempowered family, someone might have had a go at them with a knife by now.

*looks down and notices soapbox**

"gee, how did that get down there?"

Thanks Gutty, I obviously missed it wink.gif

Archived