Neolamprologus caudopunctatus - Breeding

Bijengum

At what size do these breed. I have three around the 3-4 cm mark and they have buried a small half pot leaving a small opening. One is inside with the other flicking around the entrance. Is this typical breeding behaviour for Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus. What experiences do people have with breeding these.

6. The SCP advocates the use of scientific names (where sensible) of fish rather than common names. This helps avoid the possibility of confusing one species with another and giving incorrect or irrelevant advice. Although this may be troublesome for new fishkeepers a good knowledge of scientific names will be beneficial for all fishkeepers in the long term. Also on a point of taxonomy - the species part of the scientific name always has a little letter. So, Parachromis managuense is correct, while Parachromis Managuense is wrong and moreover, just plain awful.

I would suggest that you have eggs or fry happening....you may need to remove the third fish as it will probably get harrassed. They are tolerant of their young, but it may tave a few spawns before they actually let them co-habitate.

merjo

As merjo said, although just watch them together first. I say this because i left my third one in the tank, it being another female, and the male began to breed with both. The females dont tolerate eachother though so the 2 females shells/pots are usually at either side of the tank and he swims between.

HTH

lee

i've also got caudos.

i had a pair in a 3*1 *1 with a spare female and a small group of peacocks. they spawned successfully but the young got picked off over about a month by the peacocks (at nite i think). i took them out of the peacock tank when they had their second brood and i think she ate them because the move stressed her out. now the pair are alone in a 18' * 12' and seem happy there, i think she has eggs in the shell again.

where do i get microworms and can i culture them at home?

Hi David -

Congrats on breeding these fish!

Arj (Chilli Powder) is the person to contact re: advice. I know he was/has bred these recently.

HTH -

Right now canerod...right now! They start to eat before you actually notice them. I have just noticed you are in Perth...drop by my place and grab some from me if you get stuck.

merjo

I can actually see into the area where they have hatched. At the moment they look to be on top of one another in a little shimmering heap. I have introduced microworms into the tank.

Need more help folks. Would it be advisable to remove the fry that are just starting to emerge from the cave where they hatched. The problem is that there is a third caudopunctatus and 6 juvenile lion heads sharing the 2 foot tank. (The caudopunctatus bred long before I thought they would). Can the parents defend the fry. Will the fry survive in a fry saver.

The fry will be picked off I'm afraid...a few may get through. If you raise them in a floatie, keep the floatie in the same tank as often changing water "type" can prove fatal to the fry. Also you will need to make a floatie using the white net (very, very fine netting) because they will simply swim through a flyscreen side.

merjo

Thanks for the advice. I have them in a net fry saver sitting inside a DIY saver with the larger mesh. They are doing well on the microworms. I have made up a micro worm feeder that releases them slowly into the water. Simple - a water test set plastic tube - 1mm holes drilled in the sides at the bottom - supported in a styrene float. It seems to take about 8 hours for all the microworms to get out (and eaten). I was alos thinking of using a drip method from a container with an air stone to keep the microworms stirred up. Has anyone used other methods of slow release feeding.

Didn't think the microworms would last that long out of the oats mix. You don't need elaborate methods of feeding the fry. I fed them twice a day.

The problem was that I was away overnight. Would have been about 36 hours without feeding. I thought that might have been too long.

Archived